FSS:POL371 Data Visualization - Course Information
POL371 Data Visualization in Social SciencesFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Jan Boček (lecturer)
Mgr. Matěj Málek (lecturer)
Mgr. Tomáš Marek (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Michal Pink, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Jan Pospíšil (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. PhDr. Stanislav Balík, Ph.D.
Division of Politology - Department of Political Science - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Mgr. Lucie Pospíšilová
Supplier department: Division of Politology - Department of Political Science - Faculty of Social Studies
- Fri 3. 3. 9:45–15:00 U41, Fri 24. 3. 9:45–15:00 U41, Fri 7. 4. 9:45–15:00 U41, Fri 5. 5. 9:45–15:00 U41
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 29 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- In the first prt of the course students explore theoretical concepts for data visualisation: basic visual perception (how brain perceive colors, symbolsetc.) and principle of effective data visualisaton. Second part of the course is dedicated od problematic visualisation and manipulative graph. Last part of the course is practical, focused on source of the data, data acquring, analyse, maps, and interactive visualisation.
- 1. Introducton in to the course 2. Basic terminology 3. History and evolution of data visualisaton 4. Data and storytelling 5. Acquiring and processing 6. Visual perception, colors, design 7. Efficacy of visualisation 8. Manipulative visualisation 9. Acquiring and data analyse 10. Maps and copypast 11. Geodata 12. Tools for map projection
- required literature
- Jeffrey Stanton. An Introduction to Data Science. Syracuse University, c2012.
- Teaching methods
- Seminar group
- Assessment methods
- homework, four time per term
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/spring2017/POL371