FSS:SOCb2022 Doing social research - Course Information
SOCb2022 Doing social research in older and other difficult-to-acces populationsFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 6 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Lucie Vidovićová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. et Mgr. Marcela Petrová Kafková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Lucie Galčanová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Jakub Konečný (lecturer)
Ing. Jana Hamanová (lecturer), Mgr. Lucie Vidovićová, Ph.D. (deputy)
Mgr. Lukáš Dirga, Ph.D. (lecturer), Mgr. Lucie Vidovićová, Ph.D. (deputy)
Ing. Boris Janča (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Lucie Vidovićová, Ph.D.
Department of Sociology - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Ing. Soňa Enenkelová
Supplier department: Department of Sociology - Faculty of Social Studies
- each odd Tuesday 12:00–15:40 U34
- No prerequisites
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 35 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 8/35, only registered: 0/35, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/35
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 10 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- Investigating specific research in hard-to-reach and under-studied populations. Lectures are composed of both quantitative and qualitative paradigm approaches and emphasis is put on practical know how sharing and hands-on approach. Highly heterogeneous populations such as senior or prison population, who "defy" common sociological methods, will be discussed. Focusing on specific populations brings new knowledge about research in general population as well. The lectures touch upon all key steps in the research process, starting from gesigning research question, the project, sampling and entering the field, research methodologies, ethical concerns, publication and apllication in policy making and similar. The credits are obtained for a seminar work on a selected methodological topic (as per the interest of the student).
- Learning outcomes
- After completing the course, students are able to identify basic research challenges in hard-to-access, hard-to-interview and hart-to-motivate populations. Students are equiped with sampling and research techniques to overcome these barriers. Furthermore, they are able to construct age-sensitive research tools and are instructed about the formalities of social science research in particularly vulnerable populations. Students are able to generalize the acquired skills.
- Typology of hard-to-reach populations and research. Research in prisons, researching homelessness or drug addiction. Basics of communication with people with specific sensory limitations. Questionnaire and surveys (scales and indicators, questionnaire for older respondents). Specifics of research in the senior population from the perspective of agencies for marketing and social research (representative of agencies) Research sources and platforms - data archives, secondary analyzes Qualitative research interview Research ethics and difficult topics Specifics of research in institutionalized (hospitals, prisons) and otherwise difficult to access segments (ethnicity, foreigners, children) Innovative research techniques (walk, photo diaries, co-production in research, ...) Use of research for policy making & evidence based policies Publications: examples of good and "not so good" practice, social relevance
- Teaching methods
- lectures, class discussions, presentations by professionals in the sector, reading
- Assessment methods
- 80% of attendance and seminar paper on the course topic (specified by the student)
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Teacher's information
- Císař, O. Jak na výzkum v sociálních vědách. https://is.muni.cz/el/1423/jaro2016/GEN507/um/cisar_jak_na_vyzkum.pdf?lang=en Nedbálková, K. Spoutaná rozkoš. SLON (kapitola metodologie) Kylberg, M. et al. 2015. User participation. Research with and about user participation. Stockholm: FORTE. Dostupné z: https://forte.se/en/publication/user-participation/ A další podobné manuály: https://forte.se/en/latest/publications/
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/autumn2019/SOCb2022