FSS:SOCd0102 Methodological seminar - Course Information
SOCd0102 Methodological SeminarFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 15 credit(s). Recommended Type of Completion: k (colloquium). Other types of completion: z (credit).
Taught in person.
- prof. PhDr. Pavel Barša, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Dr. Werner Binder (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Slavomíra Ferenčuhová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. PhDr. Tomáš Katrňák, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. Martin Kreidl, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Kateřina Lišková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. PhDr. Ing. Radim Marada, Ph.D. (lecturer)
PhDr. Monika Metyková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. PhDr. Kateřina Nedbálková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. PhDr. Ladislav Rabušic, CSc. (lecturer)
prof. Steven Saxonberg, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. PhDr. Csaba Szaló, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. PhDr. David Šmahel, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. PhDr. Iva Šmídová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Kateřina Nedbálková, Ph.D.
Department of Sociology - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Ing. Soňa Enenkelová
Supplier department: Department of Sociology - Faculty of Social Studies
- ! SOC913 Methodological seminar && ! NOW ( SOC913 Methodological seminar )
SOCd0101 should have been completed prior to enrollment.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 8 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- This course concerns with the methodology of social research – as discussion about the methodological problems of students PhD theses. It provides students with a basic ways in which social research can be conducted (ontology and epistemology; inductive and deductive strategies; problems of empirical generalizations; explanation and interpretation etc.). The course has to be taken in the 3rd semester at the latest.
- Learning outcomes
- After successfully passing the course, student will be able to translate, discuss, appraise, and assess.
- Science and its method. Ontology and epistemology, and social enquiry. Laws, theories, observation. Different methodological strategies of social research - deduction, induction and falsification. Explanation or interpretation. The methodological problems of PhD theses are discussed.
- Současná filosofie sociálních věd :multikulturní přístup. Edited by Brian Fay - Jana Ogrocká. 1. vyd. Praha: Sociologické nakladatelství, 2002. 324 s. ISBN 80-86429-10-5. info
- TRIGG, Roger. Understanding social science :a philosophical introduction to the social sciences. 2nd ed. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers, 2001. ix, 270 s. ISBN 0-631-21872-6. info
- SILVERMAN, David. Doing qualitative research : a practical handbook. 1st pub. London: Sage Publications, 2000. xv, 316. ISBN 0761958231. info
- ELSTER, Jon. Nuts and bolts for the social sciences. 1st pub. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1996. viii, 184. ISBN 0521376068. info
- BLAIKIE, Norman W. H. Approaches to social enquiry. 1st pub. Cambridge: Policy Press, 1995. x, 238. ISBN 0745611737. info
- Teaching methods
- lectures, class discussion, project presentation and defense in front of a committee
- Assessment methods
- Seminars. The final colloquium is based upon a defense of the research projects, evaluated by a committee.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (Autumn 2021, recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/autumn2021/SOCd0102