FSS:SOCn4004 Sociological Research: etnogra - Course Information
SOCn4004 Sociological Research: etnohraphy and InterviewFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 12 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. PhDr. Kateřina Nedbálková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Kateřina Nedbálková, Ph.D.
Department of Sociology - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Ing. Soňa Enenkelová
Supplier department: Department of Sociology - Faculty of Social Studies
- ! NOW ( SOCn5008 Etnography and Interview ) && !( SOC663 Sociological Research || SOC572 Etnography and Interview )
Compulsory course for MA students. Students chose one of 3 offered methodological courses.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 10 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/10, only registered: 15/10
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The course introduces qualitative research in broader theoretical and epistemological perspective. Students practice different steps of the ethnographic research and get acquainted with the techniques of research interview and observation.
- Learning outcomes
- - understand the paradigmatic sources of qualitative research -describe the design and logic of qualitative research - to apply the knowledge on research ethics to research practice - apply the acquired knowledge of research techniques to their own research projects - synthesize acquired skills and knowledge while interpreting the researched phenomenon
- 1. Course introduction 2. The history and paradigms of qualitative research 3. Research question 4. Entering the filed. 5. Interview 6. Photography 7. Observation and fieldnotes. 8. Interpretation and coding 9. Research writing 10. Publication
- required literature
- Becker, Howard S. “The Epistemology of Qualitative Research” In Richard Jessor, Anne Colby, and Richard Schweder, eds., Essays on Ethnography and Human Development, University of Chicago Press.
- NEDBÁLKOVÁ, Kateřina. Ethnography, Fieldnotes, and Interviews. In Nedbálková, K., Sidiropulu Janků, K. (eds.). DOING RESEARCH, MAKING SCIENCE: THE MEMORY OF ROMA WORKERS. Brno: CDK, 2015. p. 75-98. Sociology series. ISBN 978-80-7325-389-9. URL info
- HAMMERSLEY, Martyn and Paul ATKINSON. Ethnography : principles in practice. 3rd ed. London: Routledge, 2007. xi, 275. ISBN 9780415396042. info
- not specified
- Handbook of ethnography. Edited by Paul Atkinson. 1st pub. London: SAGE Publications, 2001. xviii, 507. ISBN 076195824X. info
- Global ethnography : forces, connections, and imaginations in a postmodern world. Edited by Michael Burawoy. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2000. xv, 392. ISBN 0520222164. info
- Ethnography at the edge : crime, deviance, and field research. Edited by Jeff Ferrell - Mark S. Hamm. Boston: Northeastern university press, 1998. xviii, 309. ISBN 155553340X. info
- Teaching methods
- lecture, seminar
- Assessment methods
- written assignments (13, 2 not compulsory), comments for other students, final research report
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
General note: Předmět je vypisován jako povinný.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/spring2022/SOCn4004