FSS:SOCn6104 Men and Maculinities - Course Information
SOCn6104 Men and Maculinities - The Powerful and PowerlessFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 10 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. PhDr. Iva Šmídová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Iva Šmídová, Ph.D.
Department of Sociology - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Ing. Soňa Enenkelová
Supplier department: Department of Sociology - Faculty of Social Studies
- Tue 10:00–11:40 U43
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! SOC596 Men and Maculinities
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The course introduces analytical categories of men and masculinities as relevant for sociological reflection and gender analysis. The issues of power )powerfullness and powerlessnes) are dealt as integral to both horizontal and vertical axes of social structure. Normativity, structural status quo and symbolism are confornted with free will and liberal approach to choice of individual actors. The course draws on literature from the Critical stuies on men and masculinities targeting social problems caused as well as suffered by men or those unreflected in the gender optics in public debates.
- Learning outcomes
- The course is based on heavy reading and discussion of relevant texts (conceptual as well as empirical). Team projects assigned as fieldwork form the core of the learning process.
- Men and masculinities as a category of sociological inquiry Critical studies on men and masculinities Social organisation of masculinity Hegemonic masculinity and the domination of men Masculinities offside - powerful and powerless men and masculinities Glocal masculinities Body Violences Men´s health "New" heroes? Representations of men and masculinities Men´s movements Social institutions of men
- KIMMEL, Michael S. Healing from hate : how young men get into-and out of-violent extremism. Oakland, California: University of California press, 2018. xviii, 263. ISBN 9780520292635. info
- PRINGLE, Keith, Jeff HEARN, Network WITH MEMBERS OF CROME and Iva ŠMÍDOVÁ. Men and Masculinities in Europe. 2nd ed. London: Whiting & Birch, 2013. 292 pp. Critical Studies in Socio-Cultural Diversity. ISBN 1-86177-042-1. URL info
- KIMMEL, Michael S. Misframing men : the politics of contemporary masculinities. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 2010. xi, 242. ISBN 9780813547626. info
- KIMMEL, Michael S. Guyland : the perilous world where boys become men. 1st ed. New York: Harper, 2008. xviii, 332. ISBN 9780060831349. info
- Men's lives. Edited by Michael S. Kimmel - Michael A. Messner. 7th ed. Boston, MA: Pearson Allyn and Bacon, 2007. xxiii, 644. ISBN 0205485456. info
- HEARN, Jeff and Keith PRINGLE. European perspectives on men and masculinities : national and transnational approaches. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2006. xiv, 237. ISBN 1403918139. info
- Handbook of studies on men & masculinities. Edited by Raewyn Connell - Michael S. Kimmel - Jeff Hearn. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications, 2005. 505 p. ISBN 0761923691. info
- Masculinities. Edited by Raewyn Connell. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Polity Press, 2005. xxv, 324. ISBN 0745634273. info
- KIMMEL, Michael S. The gender of desire : essays on male sexuality. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, 2005. xvi, 272. ISBN 0791463389. info
- HAYWOOD, Chris and Mairtin MAC AN GHAILL. Men and masculinities : theory, research, and social practice. Phildelphia, PA: Open University, 2003. x, 190. ISBN 0335208916. info
- The men and the boys. Edited by Raewyn Connell. Cambridge: Polity, 2000. ix, 259. ISBN 0745626335. info
- Gender and power : society, the person and sexual politics. Edited by Raewyn Connell. 1st pub. Cambridge: Policy Press, 1998. xvii, 334. ISBN 0745604684. info
- The violences of menhow men talk about and how agencies respond to men's violence to women. Edited by Jeff Hearn. London: SAGE, 1998. 1 online. ISBN 9781446279069. info
- Men as managers, managers as mencritical perspectives on men, masculinities, and managements. Edited by David Collinson - Jeff Hearn. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications, 1996. x, 275 p. ISBN 9780803989283. info
- HEARN, Jeff. Men in the public eye : the costruction and deconstruction of public men and public patriarchies. London: Routledge, 1992. xii, 292 s. ISBN 0-415-07620-X. info
- Men confront pornography. Edited by Michael S. Kimmel. 1st ed. New York: Meridian Book, 1990. xi, 340. ISBN 0452010772. info
- Teaching methods
- semminar discussions based on course readings, team fieldwork crowned by presentation and an academic essay
- Assessment methods
- the course evaluation comprises of more tasks - presentations (15%), team projects with essay (60%), informed disussion in the class (based on home reading; 25%)
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught once in two years.
General note: Předmět je určen pouze pro studující Mgr. stupně studia.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/spring2021/SOCn6104