FSS:ZURb1108 Audiovisual journalism - Course Information
ZURb1108 Audiovisual journalismFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Jan Rozkošný (lecturer)
Mgr. Bc. Jan Hanák (seminar tutor)
Bc. Zuzana Hodinková (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Martina Pouchlá (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. MgA. Jan Motal, Ph.D.
Department of Media Studies and Journalism - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Ing. Bc. Pavlína Brabcová
Supplier department: Department of Media Studies and Journalism - Faculty of Social Studies
- Mon 14:00–15:40 P31 Posluchárna A. I. Bláhy
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ( ZURb1115 The basics of professional behavior || NOW ( ZURb1115 The basics of professional behavior ))&&( ZURb1116 Journalistic technological competence || NOW ( ZURb1116 Journalistic technological competence ))
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Media Studies and Journalism (programme FSS, B-MSZU) (3)
- Course objectives
- The course is the basis of the theoretical preparation of future audiovisual journalists and producers for different types of media. At the end of this course students will be able to orientate in the theory of audiovisual journalism. In addition, they should be professionally involved in audiovisual media and able to apply professional techniques to a media production. The complexity of the course is based on the requirements of the application sphere, as elaborated in the market analysis.
- Learning outcomes
- Knowledge - students acquire theoretical and factual knowledge from the field of audiovisual journalism. Students will be able to enumerate the main topics of the course and lead a professional discussion, will be able to define program formats, describe genres, explain the theoretical principles, analyze the main typological features prevailing in the sphere of audiovisual journalism. Skills - practical and functional - students will be able to use their theoretical knowledge and apply those in practice, for example in the production of audio-visual news, reports, interviews and other audio-visual forms from this professional field. They will be able to plan and produce audiovisual journalistic works and will be able to create a production plan. They will be able to lead a small journalistic crew. General Competence - Competence - Students will be able to use knowledge and skills in practice in audiovisual editorial offices while working as audiovisual journalists on their own. They will be able to assume responsibility as reporters. Students are able to solve complicated situations when working in the newsroom and the field.
- Structure of the subject: 1 Introduction to the course of audiovisual journalism 2-3 Television - specifics of audiovisual production 4-5 Radio - specifics of audio production 6 Diversity of private audio / audiovisual media and their journalistic work 7–8 Television publicism 9–10 Video on the Internet, discussion 11 Challenges of the journalistic profession 12 Audio Creation on the Internet - Podcast
- required literature
- ORLEBAR, Jeremy. Kniha o televizi. Translated by Helena Bendová. 1. vyd. Praha: Nakladatelství Akademie múzických umění, 2012. 213 s. ISBN 9788073312466. info
- MOTAL, Jan. Nové trendy v médiích II. Rozhlas a televize (New Trends in Media II. Radio and Television). 1. vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2012. 223 pp. ISBN 978-80-210-5826-2. info
- recommended literature
- PATTERSON, Thomas E. Informing the news : the need for knowledge-based journalism. New York: Vintage Books, 2013. xvii, 233. ISBN 9780345806604. info
- STOVALL, James Glen. Media reporting : principles and practices of modern journalism in a multimedia world. [S.l.]: Intercollegiate Online News Network, 2013. 157 s. ISBN 9781481198691. info
- POSTMAN, Neil and Steve POWERS. How to watch TV news. Rev. ed. London: Penguin Books, 2008. xiii, 178. ISBN 9780143113775. info
- LOTZ, Amanda D. The television will be revolutionized. New York: New York University Press, 2007. xii, 321. ISBN 9780814752197. info
- EL-NAWAWY, Mohammed and Adel ISKANDAR. Al-Jazeera : the story of the network that is rattling governments and redefining modern journalism. Cambridge: Westview Press, 2003. xii, 240. ISBN 0813341493. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures, seminars, discussions, analysis of samples, practical work with audiovisual material.
- Assessment methods
- Written pleasant test
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/spring2020/ZURb1108