FSS:PMCb1003 Introduction to media studies - Course Information
PMCb1003 Introduction to media and communication studiesFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 6 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Iveta Jansová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Jakub Macek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Jakub Macek, Ph.D.
Department of Media Studies and Journalism - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: doc. Mgr. et Mgr. Vlastimil Havlík, Ph.D.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Politics, Media, and Communication (programme FSS, B-PMC)
- Course objectives
- The course introduces students to media and communication studies. It is designed as an overview and is divided into two modules. The first covers basic theories and models explaining the nature of communication processes. The second module focuses on media communication and is divided into three thematic blocks representing individual areas of media research - media production, media content and media audiences.
- Learning outcomes
- By the end of the course students will understand and apply: a/basic terminologies (interpersonal, mass and media communication theory); b/ selected (mass)communication theories)to the analysis of media content; c/ the basic principles of semiotic analysis of media content (news, popular culture).
- 1 Communication and media studies: basic definition
- 2 Communication: basic definition, types of communication
- 3 Communication models
- 4 Media organizations and economic conditions of media functioning
- 5 Media Content Creators
- 6 Communication, meaning, signification, sign models
- 7 Reading week
- 8 Visual Culture
- 9 Communication, Signs and Codes
- 10 Politics of representation
- 11 Ideology, hegemony
- 12 Effects of the media on the audience
- 13 Research of audiences and receptions
- Teaching methods
- Lectures, reading.
- Assessment methods
- Five short essays (30%). Written test exam (70%).
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/spring2023/PMCb1003