The main aim of this course is to improve the knowledge of European Law of civil procedure. The course will deal with one main case, students are supposed to develop the solution from the very beginning, discuss the solution with the client, file a law suit and finally to enforce the courts decision in another jurisdiction.
The students will also be provided with tips for presentations, useful phrases.
At the end of this course, students should be able to:
Use properly the procedural regulations of the EU, the read the case-law; analyze the case-law; work with the case-law;present the analysis of cases; write in Plain English; write legal memoranda.
The course is dividend into two parts, both of them running parallel. The first part deals with procedural regulations of the EU and their application, the second part with lawyering skills:
PART I: Contract drafting:
1. Introduction, case presentation, discussion
2. Application scope of the procedural regulations, case solution provided by the students,
3. Theoretical part, discussion with the client, letter for client
4. Filling an action, using procedural regulations of EU, theoretical part
5. Enforcement of Judgment, theoretical part
6. Closing session
PART II: Lawyering skills
3.Effective reading of case law
5.Structure of argument
6.Court’s proceeding simulation
Studijní materiály budou studentům poskytovány v průběhu kurzu na ISu v anglickém jazyce
ROZEHNALOVÁ, Naděžda, Vladimír TÝČ a Monika NOVOTNÁ. Evropské mezinárodní právo soukromé. Vyd. 1. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 1998. 346 s. ISBN 8021018674. info
lectures, class discussion, group projects, homeworks
1. Participation during the course; 2. case-law analysis; 4. research; 3. final memo.