PrF:MVV31K Religion and Faith - Course Information
MVV31K Religion and Faith in Democratic StateFaculty of Law
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Mgr. Petr Jäger, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Pavel Kandalec, Ph.D., LL.M. (lecturer)
Mgr. Dita Kučerová (lecturer)
JUDr. Kateřina Šimáčková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
JUDr. Ladislav Vyhnánek, Ph.D., LL.M. (lecturer)
Mgr. Jana Zapletalová Koláčková (lecturer)
JUDr. Michal Hájek (assistant)
- JUDr. Kateřina Šimáčková, Ph.D.
Department of Constitutional Law and Political Science - Faculty of Law
Contact Person: Andrea Kalivodová, DiS.
Supplier department: Department of Constitutional Law and Political Science - Faculty of Law
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- MVV31K/01: Mon 25. 2. to Fri 17. 5. Mon 8:00–9:30 208, K. Šimáčková
MVV31K/02: No timetable has been entered into IS. K. Šimáčková
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 30 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 1/30, only registered: 0/30, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/30
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Law (programme PrF, M-PPV)
- Course objectives
- At the end of the course the student will have an understanding of social context of legal regulation of religious matters in democratic state governed by rule of law; the students should understand the case-law of the ECHR and of the Constitutional Court of the Czech Republic related to the legal regulation of religion; the students should furhtermore be able to apply the relevant case-law on the current situation in Europe; in that context, the students should be able to identify the most relevant problems of the Church - State relationship.
- 1) Social, intellectual, political and legal contexts which result in present legal regulation and case law regarding status of Churches, religious organization and their legal persons. 2) Historical aspects of the position of Churches in democratic state governed by rule of law. 3) Confrontation of Czech and foreign legal regulations, doctrine and practice together with presenting the most typical type of relationship between state and Church in democratic societies (especially Churches in the EU). 4) Freedom of belief – human rights point of view (freedom of worship, freedom of expression, freedom of assembly and association, protection of family and private life). 5) The principal values of democratic legal order and religion (considering certain tension between ideologic neutrality of the state and its principal values). 6) Actual position of denomination law - problems of legal personality of Churches and religious organizations and their legal persons - problems of specific rights of registered churches and religious organizations - relationship between state and Churches and between Churches themselves - public operation of Churches, ecclesiastical schools and health care centers, charities and others - problems of economic security of Churches and problems of Church property restitution - relationship between canon law and state law (marriages and separations, lability referring to the right of properte, registration rules of new Churches etc.) 7) International legal aspects – problems of concordats with respect to international and internal legal personality of the Holy See, especially considering the agreement between Czech Republic and the Holy See and its constitutional conformity and consequences.
- BOBEK, Michal, Pavel MOLEK and Vojtěch (eds.) ŠIMÍČEK. Komunistické právo v Československu. Kapitoly z dějin bezpráví. 1. vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2009. 1007 pp. ISBN 978-80-210-4844-7. info
- TRETERA, Rajmund Jiří. Stát a církve v České republice. Vyd. 1. Kostelní Vydří: Karmelitánské nakladatelství, 2002. 156 s. ISBN 8071924555. info
- Teaching methods
- lectures, class discussion
- Assessment methods
- written essay + oral defence
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
- Teacher's information