LF:BLKBS051p Biostatistics - lecture - Course Information
BLKBS051p Biostatistics - lectureFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0. 1 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. RNDr. Ladislav Dušek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
RNDr. Jiří Jarkovský, Ph.D. (lecturer)
RNDr. Danka Haruštiaková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. et Mgr. Jiří Kalina, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Denisa Krejčí (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Ladislav Dušek, Ph.D.
Institute of Biostatistics and Analyses - Other Departments for Educational and Scientific Research Activities - Faculty of Medicine
Supplier department: Institute of Biostatistics and Analyses - Other Departments for Educational and Scientific Research Activities - Faculty of Medicine
- BLKZI0211 Computer Science - p.
None - basic course
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Laboratory Assistant (programme LF, B-SZ)
- Course objectives
- At the end of the course the students are able to: Define structure of dataset for statistical analysis; Visualize the data and interpret data visualisation; Identify correct methods of descriptive statistics; Formulate hypothesis for statistical testing; Select the correct statistical tests for hypotheses confirmation/refusal; Interpret results of statistical evaluation, both analysis of own data and statistics in scientific literature; Assess the applicability of statistical methods on various types of data.
- Introduction to statistics, testing of hypotheses.
- Tables of distribution functions. Sampling from biological populations, data processing.
- Introduction to sampling design. Continuous, ordinal and nominal data in biology.
- Distribution of continuous and bivariate variables - testing of hypotheses, graphical methods.
- Application of binomial and Poisson distribution in biology.
- One sample testing: sample mean, median, standard deviation, variance, binomial p and Poisson constant.
- Two sample testing. Experimental design - randomized and blocked. Parametric and non - parametric methods.
- Application of goodness-of-fit test in biology, analysis of R x C contingency tables, discrimination of categorical data.
- Measures of similarity in ecology (covariance, correlation coefficients, similarity coefficients).
- Analysis of variance (ANOVA): one-way and two-way model.
- Simple linear regression. Linear regression. Introduction to multivariate linear regression.
- Experimental design: one-way and two-way models; factorial design, randomized blocks. Laboratory and field trials. Nested design of ANOVA in genetics and ecology. Non - parametric ANOVA.
- Zar, J.H. (1994) Biostatistical methods. Prentice Hall, London. 2nd ed.
- W. Snedecor, W. G. Cochran (1971). Statistical methods. Iowa State University Press.
- J. Benedík, L. Duąek (1993) Sbírka příkladů z biostatistiky. Nakladatelství KONVOJ, Brno.
- HAVRÁNEK, Tomáš. Statistika pro biologické a lékařské vědy. 1. vyd. Praha: Academia, 1993. 476 s. ISBN 8020000801. info
- Teaching methods
- Theoretical lectures supplemented by commented examples; students are encouraged to ask quaetions about discussed topics.
- Assessment methods
- Biostatistics course is finished by written exam aimed on principles, prerequisties and correct selection of methods for solution of practical examples.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 10.