LF:BLKMB011p Mol.andCell.Biol.-lect. - Course Information
BLKMB011p Molecular and Cellular Biology - lectureFaculty of Medicine
The course is not taught in autumn 2020
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Kateřina Cetkovská, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Kateřina Vopěnková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Kateřina Straková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Jana Růžičková (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. Ing. Petr Dvořák, CSc.
Department of Biology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: Mgr. Kateřina Vopěnková, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Biology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
- Knowledge high-school biology on the level of Overview of High School Biology (https://is.muni.cz/auth/do/med/el/overview/overview_CZ.qwarp) or similar.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The main objectives of the course are:
- understanding the chemical composition, structure and properties of the main cellular components
- understanding the basic processes in the cell; and understanding the principles of pathology of these processes in cancer and genetic diseases
- understanding the basic principles of heredity
- Learning outcomes
- After completing the course the student will be able to:
- describe the composition, structure and functions of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells
- Explain the principles of intercellular communication and cell differentiation
- Explain the principles of regulation and purpose of cell division (mitosis and meiosis)
- explain basic principles of heredity and nature of human genetic diseases, describe basic methods of gene diagnostics
- Explain the principles of tumour transformation
- Introduction. Biopolymers – proteins and nucleic acids. The journey from genes to proteins – expression of genetic information. DNA replication.
- Prinicples of cell communicatuion and cell differentiation. Stem cells and their use in medicine.
- Mitosis and meiosis. Regulation of cell division (cell cycle) and apoptosis. Malignant transformation of cells, cancer.
- The principles of heredity – gene mutations, chromosome aberrations.
- Topic for autonomous study:
- Architecture and function of eukaryotic cells, cytoskeleton.
- Bacteria and viruses.
- recommended literature
- ALBERTS, Bruce. Základy buněčné biologie : úvod do molekulární biologie buňky. Translated by Arnošt Kotyk. 2. vyd. Ústí nad Labem: Espero Publishing, 2004. xxvi, 630. ISBN 8090290620. info
- CAMPBELL, Neil A. Biologie. Edited by Jane B. Reece. Vyd. 1. Brno: Computer Press, 2006. xxxiv, 133. ISBN 8025111784. info
- Přehled středoškolské biologie
- Teaching methods
- lectures, autonomous study
- Assessment methods
- The course is completed with a written examination test with 60 questions (30 multiple choice questions, where negative marking applies for incorrect answers + 30 questions where the student chooses from true/false). At least 30 points out of 60 are needed to pass. The exam tests especially the understanding of the discussed knowledge.The exam requires knowledge discussed at the lectures and practices, as well as knowledge gained by self-study. More information about the course and the exam to be found in the Interactive Syllabus of the course:
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: in blocks.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 11.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information