LF:BPAJ0222 English II - practice - Course Information
BPAJ0222 English Language II - practiceFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Veronika Dvořáčková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Jana Kubrická, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. et Mgr. Zuzana Handlová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jana Klapilová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Tereza Kochová (seminar tutor)
Wei-lun Lu, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Žaneta Stýblová (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Jana Kubrická, Ph.D.
Language Centre, Faculty of Medicine Division - Language Centre
Contact Person: Mgr. Veronika Dvořáčková, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Language Centre, Faculty of Medicine Division - Language Centre
- Wed 20. 3. 13:00–15:30 A11/334, Wed 27. 3. 13:00–15:30 A11/334, Wed 3. 4. 13:00–15:30 A11/334, Wed 10. 4. 13:00–15:30 A11/334, Wed 17. 4. 13:00–15:30 A11/334, Wed 24. 4. 13:00–15:30 A11/334, Wed 15. 5. 13:00–15:30 A11/334
- BPAJ0121 English Language I - pract.
A successful completion of the first semester with a credit test, which reflects the individual language skills. In September when entering the course, the participants reach a minimum level of B1 of CEFR, upon which it is built further on.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Midwife (programme LF, B-PA)
- Course objectives
- The course objective is to develop students' receptive (reading, listening) and productive (speaking, writing) English language skills and to enhance their knowledge of selected grammar chapters at level B2. The course also seeks to develop in students knowledge of specialized discipline-specific vocabulary, academic presentation and writing skills as well as skills for effective midwife-patient/client, midwife-midwife as well as midwife-doctor communication.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course students are able to describe and explain terms related to the selected midwivery issues: routine work days of a midwife; elementary concepts of midwifery and nursing in midwifery; pregnancy, birth/ delivery, puerperium; anatomy of the reproductive system. Students are also able to apply medical language in midwife-patient/client communication; interpret midwifery-related technical texts; use grammar structures typical of technical language of midwifery; discussion phraseology - discussing a controversial issue, giving and defending opinion in a peer group.
- 1. týden: Introduction, e-learning environment, reqiurements, assessment,literature a other sources. Presentations and public speaking I. - theory
- 2. týden:Presentations and public speaking II. - practice
- 3. týden: Who is a midwife? My study programme and motivation for study. Future labour market options. Bachelor thesis.
- 4. týden: Student presentation. Gynecology and obstetrics: basic erminology, functions and anatomy - male and female reproductive systems. Grammar: passive vs. activer revision.
- 5. týden: Student presentation. Academic writing: Motivation letter for study abroad. Pregnancy, labour I.
- 6. týden: Student presentation. Pregnancy, labour II: signs and symptoms. Lifestyle in pregnancy. Midterm revision.
- 7. týden: Pregnancy, labour. Home birth. Labour in-hospital record. Builidng a bank of useful phrases for midwife-mother communication.
- 8. týden: Student presentation. Labour complications. Grammar: questions - revision.
- 9. týden: Student presentation. Breastfeeding and childcare. Revison and exam format practice.
- 10. týden: Revision and written test.
- ŠTĚPÁNEK, Libor, Janice DE HAAFF, Alena HRADILOVÁ and David SCHÜLLER. Academic English – Akademická angličtina: Průvodce anglickým jazykem pro studenty, akademiky a vědce (Academic English: a guide for students, academics and scientists). Praha: Grada, 2011. 224 pp. ISBN 978-80-247-3577-1. info
- Myles textbook for midwives. Edited by Diane Fraser - Margaret E. Cooper. 15th ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 2009. xiv, 1122. ISBN 9780443068447. info
- GREENAN, James and Tony GRICE. Oxford English for Careers: Nursing 2. 2008. ISBN 978-0-19-456988-0. info
- GREENAN, James and Tony GRICE. Oxford English for Careers: Nursing 1. 2007. ISBN 978-0-19-456977-4. info
- GLENDINNING, Eric H. and Ron HOWARD. Professional English in use : medicine. 1st ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007. 175 s. ISBN 9780521682015. info
- JAROŠČÁK, Miroslav. Anglicko-český tematický slovník :člověk po stránce fyzické. 1. vyd. Olomouc: Nakladatelství Olomouc, 2005. 863 s. ISBN 8071821942. info
- GOUGH, Chris. English Vocabulary Organiser: 100 Topics for Self-study. 2005. ISBN 3-19-162924-6. info
- HOUSE, Christine. Grammar no problem : 50 praktických lekcí anglické gramatiky s cvičením a klíčem. 1. vyd. Plzeň: FRAUS, 2004. 128 s. ISBN 8072383094. info
- MURPHY, Raymond. Essential grammar in use : a self-study reference and practice book for intermediate students : with answers. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003. x, 350. ISBN 052143680X. info
- Teaching methods
- Apart from the given topics and grammar areas, the lessons employ the four language skills of speaking, reading, listening and writing. They also expose students to a range of teaching styles such as independent work, pair and group work; students presentation for a peer audience inluding a structured feedback by teacher and peers; picture-based tasks; experiece sharing; role-play simulations of typical communication situations occuring between the midwives and their clients/mothers; students build and contribute to a bank of phrases with some typical language of for the above situations; continuous mini-presentations based on reading of either technical texts or the latest information from the field.
- Assessment methods
- presentation in target language on a selected issue; written and spoken exam; attendance and professional interest
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Information on completion of the course: Studenti se státní jazykovou zkouškou, příp. jejím ekvivalentem (TOEFL, FCE apod.) mohou, ale nemusí, vykonat zkoušku dříve v semestru po domluvě s vyučující
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 30.