LF:MBPA091p Pathology - lectures - Course Information
MBPA091p Pathology - lecturesFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/0/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- MUDr. Jitka Kyclová (lecturer)
PhDr. Květoslava Lišková (lecturer)
MUDr. Zdeňka Čermáková, Ph.D. (assistant)
Michaela Gregorovičová (assistant)
- PhDr. Květoslava Lišková
Department of Laboratory Methods - Departments of Non-medical Branches - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: Michaela Gregorovičová
Supplier department: Department of Laboratory Methods - Departments of Non-medical Branches - Faculty of Medicine
- Tue 12:00–13:40 P01014
- The student have to have completed basic required and selective courses comprising the advanced biochemical and biological subjects from 1st and 2nd semester.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Bioanalyst - Specialist in Laboratory Methods (programme PřF, N-BCH)
- Course objectives
- The course is dedicated to the application of histological methodologies in practical patomorphological diagnostics (bioptic and necroptic). The student will get acquainted with the practical operation of the histopathological laboratory and will gain practical skills for the representation of individual tissue components by histological, histochemical and immunohistochemical methods as well as some molecular biological processes. The subject acquaints with modern methods of histopathological diagnostics of tumors and other patomorphological units.
- Learning outcomes
- Upon completion of the course the student will be skilled in recent histopathological techniques performed at the pathological workplaces, will be oriented in application of the appropriate laboratory procedures due to the nature and quality of the biological material and the diagnostic purpose.
- Structure and work of the Institute of Pathology. Types and transport of biopsy material, biopsy handbook. Autopsy, structure and workload of autoptic pathology. Fixation, physical and chemical fixation, main types of fixation fluids. Coloring methods: hematoxylin-eosin, Azan, green trichrome, impregnation, dyeing Weigert van Gieson. Cytodiagnostics, types of cytological sampling, preparation of cytological specimens. Cytological diagnosis of the cervix, cytological screening. Histochemistry, basic types of reactions. Deep freezing, cryostat sections for histochemical reactions (enzymes, lipids, glycids). Preparation and slicing of tissue bottles on toboggan and rotary microtome, use of automatic and semi-automatic microtomes. Histochemical representation of enzymes, basic types of reactions. Detection of enzymes in malabsorption syndrome and myopathy. Lipid classification and histochemistry, extraction methods. Applications - steatosis, stinging disease. Glycid classification and histochemistry, application to gastrointestinal tract biopsy, glycogenesis. Histochemical representation of amyloid, Cu, and Fe. Principle and bases of immunohistochemical reactions, mono- and polyclonal antibodies. Intermediate filaments (cytokeratins, vimentin, desmin, GFAP, neurofilaments), significance for determination of basic types of tissues and their tumor derivatives. Steps of diagnostic procedure in immunohistochemical diagnostics of tumors. CD antigens and antibodies, applications in hematology and in the diagnosis of malignant lymphomas. Molecular pathology methods in diagnosis. Principle of fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH), using this methodology. PCR Principle. Main advantages and disadvantages of this method. Differences (in the design and in the information they provide) between immunohistochemical analysis and immunoblotting.
- recommended literature
- JIRKOVSKÁ, Marie. Histologická technika : pro studenty lékařství a zdravotnické techniky. 1. vyd. Praha: Galén, 2006. 80 s. ISBN 8072622633. info
- not specified
- ČECH, Svatopluk and Drahomír HORKÝ. Histologie a mikroskopická anatomie pro bakaláře (Histology and microscopical anatomy for bachelors). 1. dotisk 2., přepr. vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2017. 138 pp. ISBN 978-80-210-5544-5. info
- BALKO, Jan, Zbyněk TONAR and Ivan VARGA. Memorix histologie. Edited by Radovan Hudák. 2. doplněné vydání. Praha: Triton, 2017. 555 stran. ISBN 9788075532497. info
- HORKÝ, Drahomír and Svatopluk ČECH. Základy histologické techniky pro zdravotní laboranty (Basic histological technique for laboratory assistents). První. Brno: Vydavatelství Masyrykovy univerzity, 2007. 55 pp. ISBN 978-80-210-4467-8. info
- Theory and practice of histological techniques. Edited by John D. Bancroft - Marilyn Gamble. 5th ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 2003. xiii, 796. ISBN 0443064350. info
- Teaching methods
- lecture with the use of audiovisual aids (.ppt, commented videos) including interactive inputs
- Assessment methods
- oral examination
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 15.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/med/autumn2018/MBPA091p