LF:VSOT7X1p Otorhinolaryngology-lect. - Course Information
VSOT7X1p Otorhinolaryngology - lectureFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/0/0. 3 credit(s). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: RZk (examination).
- doc. MUDr. Břetislav Gál, Ph.D. (lecturer)
MUDr. Jan Hanák (lecturer)
MUDr. Michaela Máchalová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
MUDr. Jan Rottenberg, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. MUDr. Pavel Smilek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. MUDr. Ivo Šlapák, CSc. (lecturer)
MUDr. Tomáš Talach, Ph.D. (lecturer)
MUDr. Eva Tóthová (lecturer)
MUDr. Pavla Urbánková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Jaroslava Plavajka (assistant)
Bc. Ing. Martina Zatloukalová (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. MUDr. Břetislav Gál, Ph.D.
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery - Institutions shared with St. Anne's Faculty Hospital - Faculty of Medicine
Supplier department: Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery - Institutions shared with St. Anne's Faculty Hospital - Faculty of Medicine
- Mon 9. 10. to Fri 1. 12. Thu 13:20–15:00 N02303
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
- VSPF0622p Pathophysiol. II - lect. && VSPA0622p Pathology II - lecture && VSIP0622c Introduction to internal II-pr && ( VLCP0622c Introduc. to surgery II -pr. || STCP0622c Clin.exam. in surgery II ) && ( STLM0522p Medical Microbiology II-lect. || VLLM0522p Medical Microbiology II - lect ) && ( VLIM051p Immunology - lecture || STIM051p Immunology-lecture )&& VLFA0621c Pharmacology I - p
Knowledge od theoretical discipline, especially anatomy, physiology, pathological physiology, surgical propedeutics, microbiology, imunology, farmacology.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Main objectives of otorhinolaryngologic course are to give information about applied anatomy and physiology of head and neck and to teach students basic principles of diagnosis and treatment of head and neck diseases.
- Learning outcomes
- After completing lectures student will be able: - to do basic otorhinolaryngologic assessment - to recognize normal finding in evaluated person - to suggest another medical tests in any pathology - to suggest basic treatment
- AS.MUDr. Jan Rottenberg, Phd., Odb. as. MUDr. T. Talach, PhD.: Basic principles of Audiology Hearing disorder; audiometry – fundamental physical and acoustic concepts; Pure-Tone Audiometry, Speech audiometry, Electric response audiomtery, Otoacustic emissions; hearing aids; cochlear implant. As. MUDr. Rottenberg Jan, PhD.: Basics of neurootology
- Odb. as. MUDr. Eva Tóthová: Diseases of thyroid gland, espacially tumors, surgical treatment. The lecture summarizes basic methods of investigation in neurootology. It is divided into the four basic themes:
- 1. Olfactometry - investigation of smell, diferential diagnosis of smell disorders
- 2. Gustometry - investigation of taste, hypogeusia and ageusia as a symptom, diagnostic consequences
- 3. Audiometry - summary of methods (this theme is a subject of other lecture)
- 4. Equilibriometry - investigation of vestibular organs, diferential diagnosis of vestibular disorders.
- The lecturer supposes a basic knowledge from anatomy and physiology of sensory organs and basic knovledge of neurology (vestibular disorders)
- As. MUDr. Rottenberg Jan, PhD.Odb. as. MUDr. Jan Hanák: Clinical anatomy of anterior and lateral skull base, Up to date concept of diagnosis and treatment of rhinosinusitis (EPOS), Snoring and obstructive sleep apnea
- The lecture summarizes important data of topographical anatomy of the skull base from clinical point of view and its practical consequences to clinical symptomatology of skull base diseases, operation techniques and approaches and its complications:
- 1. Anatomy, development and variability of paranasal sinuses, functional endoscopic sinus surgery and its complications
- 2.Classfification of rhinosinusitis, European position paper on rhinosinusitis and nasal polyposis
- 3. treatment of Snoring and obstructive sleep apnea
- 5. Types of facial nerve palsy and their topodiagnostics
- 6. The subject of skull base surgery
- The lecturer supposes a basic anatomical knowledge and basic orientation in otolaryngology.
- Ass. prof. MUDr. P. Smilek, PhD., odb. as. MUDr. B.Gál, Ph.D.: Emergency and First Aid Procedures
- 1. Bleeding (nasal, form larynx, trachea, oesophagus and ear)
- 2. Dyspnea( differential diagnosis, tracheotomy, intubation, care of tracheostomy)
- 3. Foreign bodies ( in the hypopharynx, esophagus, larynx, trachea,bronchi, nose and ear)
- 4. Corrosion and scalds ( in the mouth and oesophagus)
- Ass. prof. MUDr. P. Smilek, PhD.: Basics principles in ENT Oncology
- 1. Etiology
- 2. Prognosis of Head and Neck cancer
- 3. Basic strategy of treatment
- 4. Treatment of lymphnode metastasis
- 5. Cancer of the nose and paranasal sinuses
- 6. Cancer of the epipharynx
- 7. Cancer of the Oropharynx
- 8. Cancer of the Larynx
- 9. Follow up - very important As. MUDr. Pavla Urbánková, PhD. Serious complications of inflammatory disease in ENT; Uniqueness of inflammatory disease in ENT; Primary sources of inflammation; Mastoiditis acuta; Otogenic infective complications; Intracranial complications of I. phase and II. phase; Primary source: Nose – Sinusitis; Nasal furuncle; Orbital sinusitis complications; Possible intracranial complications of sinusitis; Primary source: Oral cavity Base of oral cavity; Cheilitis; Primary source: pharynx; Abscessus et phlegmona peritonsillaris; Abscessus et phlegmona parapharyngealis; Sepsis tonsillogenes (angina septica, sepsis post anginam, trombophlebitis v. jug. int.); Mediastinal complications of deep neck inflammation
- recommended literature
- KLOZAR, Jan. Speciální otorinolaryngologie. 1. vyd. Praha: Karolinum, 2005. 224 s. ISBN 8024611252. info
- UCHYTIL, Bořivoj, Pavel SMILEK, Rom KOSTŘICA and Miroslav NOVOTNÝ. Vyšetřovací metody a základní diagnostika v otorinolaryngologii (Methods of investigation and basic diagnosis in otorhinolaryngology). 1st ed. Praha: Triton, 2002. 254 pp. Edice Levou zadní. ISBN 80-7254-190-0. info
- BEHRBOHM, Hans, Walter BECKER, Hans Heinz NAUMANN and Carl Rudolf PFALTZ. Ear, nose, and throat diseases : with head and neck surgery. 3rd ed. Stuttgart: Thieme, 2009. x, 461. ISBN 9783136712030. info
- GÁL, Břetislav, Marek SLÁVIK and Petr MATOUŠEK. Zhoubné nádory hrtanu (Laryngeal cancer). In Pavel Šlampa, Pavel Smilek et al. Nádory hlavy a krku. První vydání. Praha: Mladá fronta, 2016. p. 173-187. Edice postgraduální medicíny. ISBN 978-80-204-3743-3. info
- ŠLAPÁK, Ivo. Dětská otorinolaryngologie. 1. vyd. Praha: Mladá fronta, 2013. 333 s. ISBN 9788020429001. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures, practical training of basic ENT evaluation, video sessions, presentations by professionals in the inpatient ward and operating theatre.
- Assessment methods
- Attendance in practices and seminars is compulsory, the presence of students is recorded. Teaching methods: lectures, discussion, practical training in ENT evaluation, presentation of individual cases – videos, pictures. Final grade: oral examination The students are expected to come to the Practice properly prepared, including the corresponding theoretical backgrounds.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught each semester.