PdF:DCJDR_IMV1 Research methods in foreign la - Course Information
DCJDR_IMV1 Research methods in foreign language didactics 1Faculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- doc. Mgr. František Tůma, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. et Mgr. Kateřina Vlčková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Gabriela Hublová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. et Mgr. Kateřina Vlčková, Ph.D.
Institute for Research in School Education - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Mgr. et Mgr. Michaela Spurná, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Institute for Research in School Education - Faculty of Education
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- DCJDR_IMP2 Methods in education 2
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Didactics of Foreign Language (programme PdF, D-SPE4) (2)
- Course objectives
- The course objective is to provide students with deeper understanding of the problematic nature of research in the field of didactics of foreign languages, relating in particular to: a) research topics and questions b) research methods c) research sample, validity and realibility d) interpretation of data and presentation of results.
- Learning outcomes
- Students understand deeper context of foreign language research and its methodology (quantitative, qualitative, and mixed). They are able to formulate a research question in all three given research designs, choose adequate data collection methods and data analysis procedures, define the sample size and choose adequate sampling procedure from population. They are able to work with the concept of validity and reliability. They can collect data of good quality, analyse them and interpret, discuss and present the findings.
- The course is an introdution to underlying concepts, procedures and research methods and data processing in the field of a foreign language acquisition. It shows the specific nature of this field research, and introduces basic topics of current interest in the field. The course objective is to provide students with deeper understanding of the problematic nature of research in the field of didactics of foreign languages, relating to: a) research topics and questions, b) research methods, c) research sample, validity and realibility, d) interpretation of data and presentation of results. Topics to cover: •Methodology of research in didactics of foreign languages: Methodology of pedagogy, psychology, sociology and other social studies, including their relation to methodology of research in didactics of foreign languages. Basic terminology. Subject. The significance and use of research in didactics of foreign languages. Selected theories in linguistic and pedagogical-psychological research as its starting point. •Fields of research in foreign languages: linguistics, sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics and others. Research topics. •Specifics of the research in didactics of foreign languages: in English, German, Russian, French and other languages. Research in the field of the first, second and foreign language acquisition, billingualism. •Resources of research in didactics of foreign languages: journals, online databases. Institutions. Doctoral studies and research. Basic research terminology in foreign languages. •Application of research designs in didactics of foreign languages. Examples of the research. International comparative research. •Specifics of the methods of data collection, processing and analysis in the research of didactics of foreign languages. Software. •Format and structure of an APA research report. Standards of research. Norm quotations.
- recommended literature
- Методы и методология психолого-педагогического исследования
- Dörnyei, Z. Research Methods in Applied Linguistics: Quantitative, Qualitative, and Mixed Methodologies (Oxford Applied Linguistics). Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Handbook of research in second language teaching and learning. Edited by Eli Hinkel. London: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2005. xxii, 1144. ISBN 0805841814. info
- not specified
- Studie z časopisů: Language Learning, Applied Psycholinguistics, The Modern Language Journal, Journal of Pragmatics, Sociolinguistics and Language Acquisition, Language Learning Journal, Linguistics and Education
- Duff, P. A. Case Study Research in Applied Linguistics. New York : Erlbaum, 2008.
- Dörnyei, Z. Questionnaires in Second Language Research: Construction, Administration and Processing (SLA Research: Theoretical & Methodological Issues). Mahwah, NJ : Erlbaum, 2003.
- Winzer-Kiontke, B. Subjektive Theorien in der Fremdsprachenforschung, SRN : VDM Verlag, 2008.
- Образцов П. И. Методы и методология психолого-педагогического исследования. Издательство Питер, 2004
- GASS, Susan M. and Alison MACKEY. Data elicitation for second and foreign language research. London: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2007. x, 212. ISBN 9780805860351. info
- MACKEY, Alison and Susan M. GASS. Second language research : methodology and design. London: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2005. xv, 405. ISBN 0805842497. info
- GUIDÈRE, Mathieu. Méthodologie de la recherche : guide du jeune chercheur en lettres, langues, sciences humaines et sociales : maîtrise, DEA, master, doctorat. Nouv. éd. rev. et augm. Paris: Ellipses, 2004. 127 s. ISBN 2729821767. info
- SELIGER, Herbert W. and Elana SHOHAMY. Second language research methods. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1989. 270 s. ISBN 0-19-437067-4. info
- Teaching methods
- lecture, class discussion, individual consultation
- Assessment methods
- Type of examination: Elaboration of student´s own dissertation research project based on newly acquired knowledge.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every other week.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses