PdF:IVp004 Education in Movies & Movies i - Course Information
IVp004 Education in Movies & Movies in EducationFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Victoria Shmidt, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Karel Pančocha, Ph.D. M.Sc.
Institute for Research in Inclusive Education - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: PhDr. Lenka Gajzlerová, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Institute for Research in Inclusive Education - Faculty of Education
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- IVp004/01: Fri 30. 11. 8:00–15:50 učebna 21, Fri 14. 12. 8:00–15:50 učebna 21, V. Shmidt
- Students should have the interst to use movies and transform their film literacy to professional competencies
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
The capacity limit for the course is 20 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 1/20, only registered: 0/20, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/20
- Course objectives
- Aim: to equip students by the competencies to use movies in solving the wide range of research and training activities regarding educational process By the end of the course the students who will implemented the tasks will be able: To improve their cultural literacy regarding movies To apply various approaches for interpreting the movies To plan how to use movies in their research and teaching activities
- The course consists of two parts, the first, “Education in movies” aims to provide the approaches to explore various issues regarding education by analyzing movies. This part focuses on particular topics as education for the people with disability, ethnic minorities, women as well as wide range of techniques for interpreting the movies as a source of discourses about education. The diverse methodologies of discourse-analysis for exploring the movies including the theories by John Berger (language of images), Roland Barthes (textual analysis and myths), Stuart Hall (coding/decoding) will be put into the exercises aimed at investigating the role of movies in performing the issues of education. The list of movies for analysis will be developed in cooperation with the participants. Primarily, the list of the films includes Temple Grandin (2010); The Eighth Day (1996); three film adaptations of the “Flowers for Algernon”; Detachment (2011); The Great Debates (2007) and others. The second part, “Movies in education” offers the options to elaborate the skills to use movies in various educational activities: lectures, promoting cultural literacy, group training, therapy, counseling. Students participate in various activities as well as create their own activity, implement it and get feedback.
- recommended literature
- The cultural studies reader. Edited by Simon During. 2nd ed. London: Routledge, 1999. xiii, 610. ISBN 0415137543. info
- Teaching methods
- group work, online-learning, project learning
- Assessment methods
- participation in the workshops and seminars (30%); participation in online sessions (30%); the activity developed by the participant or analysis of the movie (English, Czech) (40%)
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: Výuka v bloku – 2x 8 hodin --> celkem 16 hod.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/ped/autumn2018/IVp004