PdF:VZpM41 Current topics of Health Educa - Course Information
VZpM41 Current topics of Health EducationFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/1/1. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- PhDr. Mgr. Lenka Adámková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
PhDr. Mgr. Leona Mužíková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Mgr. Alice Prokopová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
PhDr. Mgr. Jitka Slaná Reissmannová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- PhDr. Mgr. Lenka Adámková, Ph.D.
Department of Physical and Health Education - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Andrea Špačková
Supplier department: Department of Physical and Health Education - Faculty of Education
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in Family Education and Health Education (programme PdF, N-ZS)
- Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in Health Education (programme PdF, N-VZ2) (2)
- Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in Health Education (programme PdF, N-ZS)
- Course objectives
- The objective of the course is to present an overview of prevention and epidemiology instruments, the purpose of which is to maintain health and prevent various health risks. The students will understand the basic concepts in the area of prevention and epidemiology with a focus on the current issues as defined by the curriculum. On the basis of the knowledge acquired, the students will be able to interpret epidemiology data concerning communicable and non-communicable diseases.
- Learning outcomes
- Upon completion of the course the students will: - Be able to formulate the main issues relating to human health, its protection and promotion, with a focus on the issue of cloning, biorhythms, causes of ageing, additional drugs in food and cosmetics, HIV. – Be knowledgeable about new treatment possibilities of new pandemics and epidemics, bioterrorism, etc. - Be able to review their own knowledge, understand the significance of lifelong self-education and high-quality teaching; actively search for new information and perform a critical analysis of such information. - Understand the importance of the family and school as significant factors affecting the health of an individual and the entire population. - Be able to assess their own risk behaviour and actively improve their own lifestyles. - Actively search for new information and perform a critical analysis of such information.
- Content of seminars: 1. Human ecology. Humans as the protectors and at the same time the major pests of the environment; 2. Human cloning – threat or salvation; 3. Biorhythms, human health and productivity, biorhythms in medicine and in education; 4. Causes of ageing, causes of death; 5. A medicine is: drug/poison/mutagen/teratogen/carcinogen. Overview of medicines and other preparations (food additives, cosmetic additives, etc.) that might cause changes in the genetic information; 6. Genetic determination of tumour cell transformation, proto-oncogenes/oncogenes/anti-oncogenes; 7. Viruses and tumours; 8. Latest knowledge about HIV infection; 9. Overview of potential epidemic and pandemic diseases – causes, course, prevention; 10. Impending non-biological pandemic – prions – how they serve humans and how they serve yeast cells. Sources of atypical (pathogenic) prions. Pathogenic prion as a protein with a replicating ability; 11. Current issue of bioterrorism; 12. Topic selected by students – panel discussion (guests: geneticist, paediatrician, biochemist, primary prevention doctor, educator).
- required literature
- ALBERTS, Bruce. Základy buněčné biologie : úvod do molekulární biologie buňky. Translated by Arnošt Kotyk. 2. vyd. Ústí nad Labem: Espero Publishing, 2004. xxvi, 630. ISBN 8090290620. info
- HATINA, Jiří and Bryan SYKES. Lékařská genetika: problémy a přístupy. 1. vyd. Praha: Academia, 1999. 296 s. ISBN 80-200-0700-8. info
- Teaching methods
- Výuka probíhá formou seminářů. Studenti diskutují prezentovaná témata dle sylabu předmětu.
- Assessment methods
- Students shall demonstrate knowledge of the issue and produce a seminar paper on a selected topic.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.