FF:AJ11615 Czenglish B - Course Information
AJ11615 Czenglish BFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s) (plus 2 credits for an exam). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: z (credit).
- PhDr. Simona Kalová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Christopher Adam Rance, M.A. (lecturer)
Mgr. Irina Matusevich (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Jeffrey Alan Vanderziel, B.A.
Department of English and American Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Tomáš Hanzálek
Supplier department: Department of English and American Studies - Faculty of Arts
- each even Thursday 10:50–12:25 L11
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 30 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/30, only registered: 0/30
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 8 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The main aim of the course is to focus on the 'problem areas' caused by L1 interference in vocabulary and grammar, together with analysis and practice of selected advanced grammar points. Grammar will be presented in context through a variety of exercises. The format of the course will be blended, i.e. a combination of online and bi-weekly face-to-face sessions. Students will be given the opportunity to actively contribute to the content of the course. At the end of the course students should be aware of the main areas of difficulty for Czech speakers of English and be able to deal with them successfully.
- Face-to-face sessions; 1) Introductory session + Diagnostic test; 2) PEOPLE, ORTOGRAPHY AND STYLISTICS + selected Czenglish items Orthography + 98 + stylistics + 154 + 167 + 182 + 241 + 215 +221 +227; 3) TIME AND FUTURE TENSES + selected Czenglish items Future tenses - U2; 4) DESCRIPTIONS AND MODALS PASTII + selected Czenglish items Modals Past II- U4; 5) PARTS OF SPEECH, GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES + selected Czenglish items Gerunds & infinitive + 129 + 194 +265 + 268 + 271 (Verb patterns 1+2 - Us 9, 10;) 6) ACTIVITIES, PARTICIPLES AND CLAUSES + selected Czenglish items Participles & clauses U15; 7) FINAL TEST;
- required literature
- HEWINGS, Martin. Grammar for CAE and proficiency with answers : self-study grammar reference and practice. 1st pub. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009. viii, 296. ISBN 9780521713757. info
- SPARLING, Thomas Donald. English or Czenglish? Jak se vyhnout čechismům v angličtině. 2. vyd. Praha: SPN, 1992. 250 pp. ISBN 80-04-25969-3. info
- Teaching methods
- bi-weekly face-to-face sessions; e-learning; self-study;
- Assessment methods
- Students will be assessed on their work throughout the term, their active participation on the course – practice tests taken in Elf, a presentation on a selected cZENGLISH problem area given in class, and the results of mid-term and final tests. Attendance in face-to-face sessions is compulsory, 1 absence is allowed.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.