FF:AJ69062 Translation Project - Course Information
AJ69062 Translation Project - Subtitling - AdvancedFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s) (plus 3 credits for an exam). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. et Mgr. Jan Nohovec (lecturer)
Ing. Mgr. Jiří Rambousek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Jana Chamonikolasová, Ph.D.
Department of English and American Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Tomáš Hanzálek
Supplier department: Department of English and American Studies - Faculty of Arts
- AJ69052 Translation Project
The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
While this course is intended as a continuation of AJ69052 Translation Project – Subtitling, students who didn’t pass the mentioned course may still be enrolled in this one. Please get in touch with the course instructor (Jan Nohovec, email@example.com) for further information.
The final exam will happen in August/September 2019. Therefore, this course is not suitable for those wanting to finish their studies in spring 2019.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 15 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 11/15, only registered: 0/15
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Applying theoretical knowledge and practical skills in film and TV subtitling in a real-life project with public audience.
- Learning outcomes
- The course revolves around a real-life project: preparing subtitles for the festival Serial Killer (http://www.serialkiller.tv/). Students will engage in groupwork on episodes from TV series to be shown during the festival in September.
The class will meet a few times in February/March to discuss the course outline and requirements and to prepare those who haven’t passed AJ69052 Translation Project – Subtitling. The remaining work will be done online, possibly with no further in-class sessions.
Translation work will begin in May/June when the material for subtitling will be distributed to students by Serial Killer management. Subtitle hand-offs will take place in July/August and students may be able to choose the deadline that suits them best.
Depending on the number of participants in this course, each student will subtitle 2-5 hours of material. Each student will also act as a reviewer for other class participants. Although most TV series will originally be in English, some may not. In those cases, English will only serve as a pivot language and therefore, knowledge of other languages is a plus when enrolling in the course.
Course outline may change during the semester depending to the circumstances of festival organization.
- Teaching methods
- Groupwork, subtitle analysis, creation of one's own subtitles including software use, peer review.
- Assessment methods
- Take-home final exam in pairs or groups of students. Marks will be given based on the quality of the subtitles for the movie/TV series. Timely delivery and ease of communication during the handoffs may also influence the marks, as they would in any real-life project too.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught: in blocks.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Předmět si nemohou zapsat studenti Bc. studia AJ
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/spring2019/AJ69062