FF:AJL52073 Language of Advertising - Course Information
AJL52073 Language of AdvertisingFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 6 credit(s). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Jana Pelclová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Jana Pelclová, Ph.D.
Department of English and American Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Tomáš Hanzálek
Supplier department: Department of English and American Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Fri 11:00–12:40 G24
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 4 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 5/4, only registered: 2/4
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 16 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The course is aimed at investigating advertising as a specific discourse type. The objective is to analyze advertising from different perspectives, for instance pragmatics, figurative language, cognitive linguistics and from overlapping diciplines such as humour, gender studies or narrativity.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course, students will be able to: - explain the persuasive startegies used in advertising texts - understand the functions of verbal and nonverbal communication codes found in advertising messages - analyze advertisements from the point of view of different linguistics theories
- 1. Advertising as a specific discourse type 2. Language in advertising 3. Non-verbal codes in advertising 4. Modality 5. Narratives, heteroglossia and points of view 6. Figurative language 7. Gender in advertising 8. Humor in advertising 9. Loan words in advertising 10. Implicature 11. (Im)politeness principle in advertising
- required literature
- MYERS, Greg. Words in ads. London: Edward Arnold, 1994. info
- COOK, Guy. The discourse of advertising. London: Routledge, 1992. xxi, 250. ISBN 0415041708. info
- HERMERÉN, Lars. English for sale : a study of the language of advertising. Lund: Lund University Press, 1999. 201 s. ISBN 9179665764. info
- not specified
- SRPOVÁ, Hana. Knížka o reklamě. Vydání první. Ostrava: Ostravská univerzita, Filozofická fakulta, 2008. 196 stran. ISBN 9788073685331. info
- GODDARD, Angela. The language of advertising : written texts. 2nd ed. London: Routledge, 2002. x, 131 s. ISBN 0-415-27802-3. info
- ČMEJRKOVÁ, Světla. Reklama v češtině, čeština v reklamě. Vyd. 1. Praha: Leda, 2000. 258 s. ISBN 8085927756. info
- SCHRODER, Kim and Torben VESTERGAARD. The language of advertising. Oxford: Blackwell, 1992. x, 182. ISBN 063110741X. info
- Teaching methods
- The course consists of e-classes and in-class seminars. Pre-calss reading is required for the in-classes in which we will analzye advertisements from the point of view of the topic of a given week. In the e-classes, students will have to take 1 e-test and to submit 5 assignemnts (feedback will be provided).
- Assessment methods
- Seminar assessment: attendance and in-class participation (20%) + 1 e-test and 5 assignments (20 %) + final essay (60 %).
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught once in two years.
- Teacher's information
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2019/AJL52073