FF:AR1B106 Pragmatic Sanction - Course Information
AR1B106 Pragmatic Sanction of Charles VIFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- PhDr. Jiřina Štouračová (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- PhDr. Jiřina Štouračová
Department of Auxiliary Historical Sciences and Archive Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Olga Barová
Supplier department: Department of Auxiliary Historical Sciences and Archive Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Fri 10:00–11:40 B2.24
- ! AR2A34 Pragmatic Sanction
General knowledge of the history of Central Europe in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. Knowledge of the history of administration in the period 1526–1848.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 24 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The lecture will familiarize undergraduates with accession law in the Habsburg monarchy, and more specifically with the accession of Charles VI and his daughter Maria Theresa. The passing of the law of Pragmatic Sanction necessitated talks in all the lands of the Habsburg monarchy as well as in the context of the European political scene. At the end of the lecture the undergraduate will have become acquainted with the true circumstances surrounding Maria Theresa’s accession to the throne, the waging of wars over the Habsburg inheritance, developments in the Lands of the Bohemian Crown, and individual players in specific events.
- Learning outcomes
- After completing the course, the student will be able to:
- characterize the main principles of the law of succession in the Czech kingdom;
- describe the important landmarks in the Habsburg law of succession;
- analyse the main milestones and benefits of the Pragmatic Sanction laws;
- name and chronologically order the main actors in declaring a pragmatic sanction;
- describe the adoption of the new PS laws in the individual countries of the Habsburg state;
- write an academic study on the adoption of the pragmatic sanctions in a Habsburg or European country, with all the prerequisites of an academic text.
- Succession law in the Bohemian kingdom;
- The traditions of Habsburg succession law;
- The new Pragmatic Sanction;
- Confirmation by the provincial assemblies;
- Guaranty by international treaties.
- required literature
- Valentin Urfus - 19.4.1713 Pragmatická sankce: rodný list Podunajské monarchie. Praha, Havran 2002
- 12.5.1743 Marie Terezie: Korunovace na usmířenou. Praha, Havran 2003, 187 s.
- recommended literature
- Štouračová, Jiřina: Vývoj správních institucí českého státu 1526-1848. Brno 2014, 94s., ISBN 978-80-210-7195-7
- Teaching methods
- Lecture, independent study of the literature, individual work on the topic, presentation of knowledge acquired by the student.
- Assessment methods
- Oral examination
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2020/AR1B106