FF:CJBC656 Preparation of Conference - Course Information
CJBC656 Preparation of Scholarly ConferenceFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Tereza Dědinová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Zbyněk Fišer, Ph.D.
Department of Czech Literature and Library Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Mgr. Eva Zachová
Supplier department: Department of Czech Literature and Library Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Tue 12:30–14:05 U22
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
The capacity limit for the course is 22 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 7/22, only registered: 0/22, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/22
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to prepare the international and interdisciplinary conference Fantasy and myth in the Anthropocene, which will be held from 3 to 5 October 2018. Students will be acquainted with the course of the preparation of a major academic event and will practically participate in the organization. At the same time, they will be able to contribute their constructive proposals to influence the form of the conference itself. Emphasis will be placed on the ability of teamwork and individual contribution. The course has a theoretical introduction, but the emphasis is put on practical exercises (which will be realised at the conference if successful).
- Learning outcomes
- After completing the course, students will be able to:
to propose preparatory steps for organizing a conference, a workshop or other similar event;
to clarify the problems that need to be counted in the preparations;
to propose a relevant solution to these problems;
based on experience, to specify the time needed to prepare the event;
creatively enrich the event program;
collaborate with the organizing team.
- Theoretical introduction - what we need to prepare an international conference
- Getting to know the theme and scope of the conference. Link to previous conferences.
- Time management of conference preparations and of the conference itself.
- Essentials of the Conference - Invitation, Plenary Speakers, etc.
- Conference topic - The balance between the stimulating theme and the wide-ranging focus.
- Conference languages - How to deal with a multilingual event.
- Evaluation and selection of submitted applications.
- Financing the conference - how and where to raise funds, preparation of budget before the conference and post-conference billing.
- Graphics processing of conference materials - call for papers, posters, brochure of abstract abstracts.
- Criteria for selecting conference venue and catering.
- A cultural program as a part of the conference.
- The way to enrich the planned event.
- Practical requirements preceding the conference.
- Teaching methods
- Discussion, practical exercises, problem-solving, individual and teamwork.
- Assessment methods
- Completion of tasks assigned during the semester.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught only once.
General note: Předmět bude otevřen a vyučován při minimálním počtu 10 zapsaných studujících.