FF:CJQB20 Lost in Translation - Course Information
CJQB20 Lost in TranslationFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- PhDr. Tomáš Míka (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- PhDr. Eva Rusínová
Division of Czech for Foreigners - Department of Czech Language - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Mgr. Zuzana Muchová
Supplier department: Division of Czech for Foreigners - Department of Czech Language - Faculty of Arts
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 20 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/20, only registered: 0/20
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Czech Language for Foreigners (programme FF, B-FI)
- Course objectives
- The course focuses on training translators from Czech to English and from English into Czech. Creative approach to translation will be practised on short texts (mainly poetry). Translations of technical, ekonomic and legal texts will also be practised. Part of the course will be the analysis of existing translations. Students will receive basic information on working with CAT tools. The main objectives of the course are: to understand the source text and be able to analyze it at all levels; to learn to formulate the scopos of the target communications and the target text; to definite the main translation strategies; to learn creative methods in the translation process; to be able to explain own decesion on how to translate a chosen text.
- Literary texts by Czech authors, e.g.: Karel Jaromír Erben: Kytice Vladimír Holan: Terezka Planetová Literary texts by British / American authors, e.g.: Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass, Samuel Beckett: Watt, John Bunyan: The Pilgrim's Progress. Technical / economic / legal texts - both Czech and English.
- Leaves of grass. Edited by Walt Whitman. 1 online r. ISBN 9781877527517. info
- ERBEN, Karel Jaromír. Kytice : Czech & English bilingual edition. Translated by Susan Helen Reynolds. 1st pub. [Milton Keynes]: Jantar, 2013. xiii, 259. ISBN 9780956889027. info
- BECKETT, Samuel. Tso. Edited by Miloš Urban, Translated by Tomáš Míka, Illustrated by Štěpán Da. Vyd. 1. Praha: Argo, 2002. 246 s. ISBN 8072034561. info
- BUNYAN, John. Poutníkova cesta : z tohoto světa do světa budoucího. Edited by Tomáš Míka. Vyd. 3., v tomto překl. 1. Praha: Argo, 1996. 182 s. ISBN 8072030345. info
- BECKETT, Samuel. Watt. London: John Calder, 1963. 255 s. info
- HOLAN, Vladimír. Terezka Planetová [Holan, 1962]. Praha: Mladá fronta, 1962. info
- BUNYAN, John. The Pilgrim's progress. New York: Pocket Books, 1957. ix, 308 s. info
- WHITMAN, Walt. Stébla trávy : výbor [Whitman, 1906]. Translated by Jaroslav Vrchlický. V Praze: B. Kočí, 1906. 130 s. info
- Teaching methods
- Methods: lectures, class discussion, group projects, homeworks.
- Assessment methods
- Seminar paper on comparison of existing translations of literary / non-literary texts or own translation / translations of literary / non-literary texts.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught each semester.
The course is taught: in blocks.