FF:ESB038 Aesthetics of Comics - Course Information
ESB038 Aesthetics of ComicsFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Mgr. Ondřej Krajtl (lecturer)
Mgr. Václav Křížek (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Lenka Lee, Ph.D.
Department of Aesthetics - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Ing. Ivana Vašinová
Supplier department: Department of Aesthetics - Faculty of Arts
- Mon 16:00–17:40 K21
- The course is offered to all the student of the Faculty of Arts and it is recommendable for students of other faculties.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 100 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 42/100, only registered: 0/100, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/100
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 20 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- Main aim of the course is the affinity of comic studies with aesthetic theories and concepts. The individual lectures thus link the aesthetic aspects, theories and methods to the contemporary issues of comic studies. Selected themes will be presented by professionals from Czech Academy of Sciences.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course the student will be able to:
- orientate in different directions of the current professional exploration of the comic book
- analyze comic texts using different methods and approaches
- better understand the formal and functional properties of the comic medium
- independently analyze critically the comic work
- functionally use the methods and procedures of comics studies in their own interpretation
- better understand the rules and possibilities of comic grammar
- understand and recognize specific comic book approaches
- 1. Why read a comics?
- 2. What is a comics?
- 3. Comics place among others
- 4. Comics as (visual) communication
- 5. Aesthetic category of comics
- 6. Rules of comics grammar
- 7. Standards in comics
- 8. Comics as Art?
- 9. Serial and sequencing of the comic book
- 10. Comics as a medium, comics as a code
- 11. Comics field participants
- 12. Thinking about comics
- 13. Local specifics: "Czech comics folklore"
- Classics and comics. Edited by George Kovacs - C. W. Marshall. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011. xiii, 265. ISBN 9780199734191. info
- A comics studies reader. Edited by Jeet Heer - Kent Worcester. Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 2009. xv, 380. ISBN 9781604731095. info
- KRUML, Milan. Comics : stručné dějiny. Illustrated by Bryan Talbot. 1. české vyd. Praha: Comics Centrum [distributor], 2007. 318 s. ISBN 9788086839127. info
- Arguing comics : literary masters on a popular medium. Edited by Jeet Heer - Kent Worcester. Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 2004. xxiii, 176. ISBN 1578066875. info
- CLAIR, René and Jaroslav TICHÝ. Comics. Praha: Státní nakladatelství dětské knihy, 1967. info
- Teaching methods
- lectures, selected readings, class discussion, analysis of selected comics works
- Assessment methods
- Final essay: 8-10 pages, literature, citation norms, given structure.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
Information on completion of the course: Obecné podmínky ukončování kursů Semináře estetiky
The course is taught annually.
General note: Obecné podmínky ukončování kursů Semináře estetiky.
Information on course enrolment limitations: posluchači bc. estetiky, kteří začali své studium před více než třemi semestry, musí mít splněnu postupovou zkoušku (ESAPZE), jinak si tento předmět nemohou zapsat. Pro ostatní obory není zápis omezen.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2019/ESB038