FF:IJ2B009 Modern & Contemp. It. Let. (A) - Course Information
IJ2B009 Modern and Contemporary Italian Literature (A)Faculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- Daniela Shalom Vagata, MA, Dottore di Ricerca (lecturer)
doc. Paolo Divizia, Dottore di Ricerca (alternate examiner)
Egle Mocciaro, Dottore di Ricerca (alternate examiner)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Paolo Divizia, Dottore di Ricerca
Department of Romance Languages and Literatures - Faculty of Arts
- Wed 16:00–17:40 G11
- ( IJIA021 Italian Literature III || IJ1A023 Italian Literature III ) && ( IJ1A005 Practical Italian V || IJIA020 Practical Italian V )
The lineage of Manzoni
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Italian Language and Literature (programme FF, B-IJ_) (3)
- Course objectives
- How "I Promessi Sposi" is considered in 20th century Italian literature? Who was Alessadro Manzoni? Who got his literary inheritance? The course aims to answer the above mention questions. The readings of some criticism will contribute to the understanding of Luigi Pirandello's, Carlo Emilio Gadda's, Leonardo Sciascia's, Nalia Ginszurg's and Salvatore Silvano Nigro's reading and interpretaion of Manzoni's masterpiece.
- Learning outcomes
- The course aims to familiarize students with some important Italian writers of the 20th century through their interest on Manzoni and his novel "I promessi sposi". Students will be guided in the reading of fundamental criticism (Gianfranco Contini, Ezio Raimondi, Salvatore Silvano Nigro) and of 20th century Italian authors who wrote on Manzoni.
- 13 lessons of 100 minutes each. Mained works covered in the course: Alessandro Manzoni, "I promessi sposi" e "Storia della colonna infame" (anthological reading) Luigi Pirandello, "L'umorismo" Carlo Emilio Gadda, "Divagazioni e Garbuglio" Natalia Ginzburg, "La famiglia Manzoni" Leonardo Sciascia, "Cruciverba" Salvatore Silvano Nigro, Silvia Moretti, "Promessi sposi d’autore. Un cantiere letterario per Luchino Visconti"
- required literature
- I promessi Sposi (Rizzoli, BUR)
- Carlo Emilio Gadda, "Divagazioni e Garbuglio"
- Salvatore Silvano Nigro, Silvia Moretti, "Promessi sposi d’autore. Un cantiere letterario per Luchino Visconti"
- Natalia Ginzburg, "La famiglia Manzoni"
- PIRANDELLO, Luigi. L'umorismo. 1. ed. Milano: Garzanti, 1995. cv, 232. ISBN 8811585759. info
- SCIASCIA, Leonardo. Cruciverba. Torino: Einaudi, 1983. vi, 317. ISBN 8806560778. info
- recommended literature
- GADDA, Carlo Emilio. Opere di Carlo Emilio Gadda. Edited by Raffaella Rodondi - Dante Isella - Giorgio Pinotti. 3. ed. [Milano]: Garzanti, 1999. 1339 s. ISBN 8811586410. info
- Teaching methods
- The course will be conducted in Italian. Students will be guided in the reading of the literary pieces. Students will receive weekly assignments and will be expected to actively participate in the class discussions. Students are suggested to attend the departmental seminars on Italian literature organized for the Fall semester 2021.
- Assessment methods
- Attendance and active participation in class discussions. Final written exam.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2021/IJ2B009