IM116 JOINMEFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. et Mgr. Adam Franc (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Jana Horáková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Alina Matějová (lecturer)
Mgr. Radek Návrat (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Jana Horáková, Ph.D.
Department of Musicology - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Bc. Jitka Leflíková
Supplier department: Department of Musicology - Faculty of Arts
- each odd Tuesday 14:00–17:40 N41
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 25 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 8/25, only registered: 0/25, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/25
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The course is intended for students who are interested in learning the theory and practice aspects of creating the scholarly journal (work editors, reviewers, authors, language proofreaders etc.) and want to master the main principles of academic writing and critical evaluation. The main content of the lectures is to prepare a new issue of the departmental magazine JOINME. Students write academic texts, analyses of artworks, art exhibition reviews and others journalistic genres, handling promotion of journal, participate in the creation of design magazine and perform other activities associated with the development of the scholarly journal, according to their individual abilities.
- Student's theoretical introduction to the problematic of scientific journals.
- To acquaint students with all phases of the publishing process.
- To develop student's competencies in the area of professional publishing activities.
- Preparation of students for skilled work in an editorial team.
- Learning outcomes
- After completing the course:
- Students will be well informed about scientific journals and databases of scientific journals.
- Students will be able to list the basic evaluation criteria of scholarly journals.
- Students will be able to use diverse strategies and tactics of scientific publishing.
- Students will be able to describe various types of art criticism and its essential aspects.
- Students will have the ability to write an analysis of artwork, book review, art exhibition review and the like.
- Students will be able to describe formal rules and ethical principles of academic writing.
- 1. An introductory lesson – course content and structure, way of completing the course
- 2. Discussion about the topic of the forthcoming issue of JOINME journal and selection of topics for articles
- 3. Scholarly journals: Requirements and objectives of scholarly journals, examples of foreign and domestic academic journals, evaluation criteria of scholarly journals, databases of scholarly journals
- 4. What is art criticism? Genres of art criticism.
- 5. Criticism of criticism
- 6. Contemporary art criticism
- 7. How to write art critique
- 8. How to write art exhibition review
- 9. Reflection of written texts
- 10. How to write about digital art
- 11. Reflection of written texts
- 12. Evaluation of the course, feedback
- required literature
- ŠANDEROVÁ, Jadwiga. Jak číst a psát odborný text ve společenských vědách. Praha: Sociologické nakladatelství, 2009. 209 pp. Studijní texty, 34. svazek. ISBN 978-80-86429-40-3. info
- Odborná periodika: Convergence - http://con.sagepub.com/
- Computational Culture - http://computationalculture.net/
- New media and society - http://nms.sagepub.com/
- APRJA - http://www.aprja.net/
- Amodern - http://amodern.net/
- Ctheory - http://www.ctheory.net/
- Digital creativity - http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/ndcr20/current
- Databáze odborné literatury: SCOPUS - http://www.scopus.com/
- ERIH - https://dbh.nsd.uib.no/publiseringskanaler/erihplus/
- Web of Science - webofscience.com
- Teaching methods
- Seminars, lectures, discussion, practical tasks.
- Assessment methods
- Evaluation of one task that is related to the creation of the journal. Evaluation of assigned homework.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.