FF:ISKB73 Experimental Teaching Methods - Course Information
ISKB73 Experimental Teaching Methods: English for non-English Majors in Virtual RealityFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/1/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
Taught in person.
- Nicola Catherine Fořtová, B.A., M.A. (lecturer)
Mgr. Alžběta Šašinková (lecturer)
Bc. Natálie Káčová (seminar tutor)
Bc. Lucie Pelčáková (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Čeněk Šašinka, Ph.D.
Department of Information and Library Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Mgr. Alice Lukavská
Supplier department: Department of Information and Library Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- ISKB73/01: Mon 14:00–15:40 C31
ISKB73/02: Fri 10:00–11:40 L32
- Initial English knowledge of B1 level is required. Interest in trying English lessons in virtual reality is welcome. Both oral and written reflexion of the course for research purposes are a compulsory part of the course.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
The capacity limit for the course is 64 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 22/64, only registered: 0/64, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/64
- Course objectives
- The course objectives are to improve English speaking and presentation skills through lessons in virtual reality. The course is a part of a research project funded by the Technology Agency of the Czech Republic.
- Learning outcomes
- - Mastering English conversation on the selected topics on a B1-B2 level, including related vocabulary and grammar. - Improving collaborative problem solving strategies in a small group. - Improving argumentation skills in a foreign language. - Getting familiar with various VR platforms for education and collaboration.
- Topics of all lessons will be announced during the semester.
- Teaching methods
- Each student will go through 8 English conversation lessons altogether, combining real and virtual environment. Lessons will be taught to groups of 4 students. Two of these lessons will be taught both in virtual and real environment for research purposes. At the end of the semester students will elaborate a written reflexion of the lessons and the entire course, which will also be subjected to research analysis. Completion of the course will be conducted within a group discussion of the course.
- Assessment methods
- To complete the course sucessfully, active participation both in lessons and in reflexions is crucial. Given the specific character of the course, attendance in all 8 lessons and the group (online) discussion ath the end of the course is required. As the number of students in this semester is very low, the schedule may be partially flexible.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught only once.
- Teacher's information
- Recordings of all lessons will be taken and saved for research purposes - students will also have the possibility of going through their recordings and take part in analyzing them during their reflexions. Scientific publication outcomes of the lessons will be strictly anonymous. The goal of our research is by no means judging the students, but evaluating the possibilities and limits of the VR technology and various VR platforms, to raise the quality and meaningfulness of future VR educational design.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2021/ISKB73