FF:ISKM38 Media in the Information Age - Course Information
ISKM38 Media in the Information AgeFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Mgr. Pavlína Mazáčová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
PhDr. Bedřich Musil (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Pavlína Mazáčová, Ph.D.
Division of Information and Library Studies - Department of Czech Literature - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Mgr. Alice Lukavská
Supplier department: Division of Information and Library Studies - Department of Czech Literature - Faculty of Arts
- Thu 27. 2. 10:00–13:40 C11, Thu 19. 3. 10:00–13:40 N42, Thu 16. 4. 10:00–13:40 N42, Thu 30. 4. 10:00–13:40 N42, Thu 21. 5. 10:00–13:40 C11
- The course has no prerequisites.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
The capacity limit for the course is 24 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/24, only registered: 29/24, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/24
- Course objectives
- The course has the following main objectives: Students will be introduced both on theoretical and applied level with the functioning of media in the information age, with the positive and negative aspects of human-information interaction as well as educational and educational strategies in the field of media literacy and information literacy. An important role is played by the critical reading of media texts and theoretical texts. The acquired competencies will be linked to the use in lifelong learning and the professional practice of an information worker.
- Learning outcomes
- The student has the ability to:
- distinguish trustworthy and untrusted media;
- prepare a thematic media message;
- recognize the risk factors of media and their products;
- Design educational program in the field of information studies and librarianship focused on media and information literacy in libraries and educational institutions of formal and informal
- 1. Mass communication as part of social communication
- 2. Development of media from book printing to the Internet
- 3. Media production as an industry
- 4. Media functions - Media as an important part of life
- 5. Public service media, commercial and media boulevard
- 6. Media financing
- 7. The public, the audience, the meat
- 8. Effects of media production on recipients
- 9. Creating and influencing media content; Propaganda and manipulation in media reports
- 10. Media and Globalization Processes - Czech Media Stage in the Era of Globalization, Media Legislation in the Czech Republic
- 11. Media and intermediary reality
- 12. Medium Saturated Company, New Media and Old Habits; post-time period
- 13. Educating media topics in the field
- The topics are grouped into 5 learning blocks:
- I. Media and their role (we need media; media genres; advertising; functioning of media; how content is created)
- II. Media financing, owners (money as a means and a goal; ownership and influence of content; cross-media trade)
- III. Media scene of the Czech Republic (from Germans to oligarchs; media system; media houses and centralization)
- IV. Media changes and media effects (new media and changes in use; users and media world change; media are or are not effective; media research; media agenda; opinion leaders and their roles; functioning of social media
- V. Disinformation, manipulation, work with resources (post-phaltic period; propaganda; source is the basis; misinformation - as we know it)
- British library and information schoolsthe research of the department of information science, City University London. Edited by David Bawden. Bradford, England: Emerald Group Publishing, 2007. 183 p. ISBN 9781846636028. info
- Teaching methods
- Practical exercises, project, critical work with texts and media messages of various types, discussion
- Assessment methods
- Elaboration of individual topic, evaluation of continuous reading, attendance
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught once in two years.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/spring2020/ISKM38