FF:JPNB43 Japanese Culture in Film - Course Information
JPNB43 Japanese Culture in FilmFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 4/0/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Zuzana Kubovčáková, M.A., Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Jiří Matela, M.A., Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Barbora Mejzlíková (lecturer)
Mgr. Marek Mikeš, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Ing. Ivo Plšek, M.A., M. P. P. (lecturer)
Mgr. Zuzana Rozwalka (lecturer)
Mgr. Ivan Rumánek, PhD. et PhD (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Zuzana Kubovčáková, M.A., Ph.D.
Department of Japanese Studies - Asia Studies Centre - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Mgr. Ivan Rumánek, PhD. et PhD
Supplier department: Department of Japanese Studies - Asia Studies Centre - Faculty of Arts
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- Předpokladem je znalost anglického jazyka; titulky k některým japonským filmům můžou být v anglickém jazyce.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 165 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/165, only registered: 0/165, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/165
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The course aims to develop the understanding of media images of Japanese culture and society. The students will gain an understanding of how popular culture and media – particularly cinema – have shaped the perceptions and expectations of what Japanese society and culture is or should be. The classes consist of screening selected movies, of short introductory lectures on the main topics of these movies, and of discussions.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course students will be able to
define stereotypes connected to image of Japanese culture and society in selected movies;
explain the stereotypes in relation to broader social and cultural conditions;
interpret the processes of creating stereotypical images of Japan in media, particularly in cinematography;
analyse the main elements of the image of Japanese culture and society in selected movies;
formulate critical approach toward the stereotypical images of Japan in popular culture.
- 0. Introduction to the course;
- 1. - 11. Screenings of selected movies, fictions and documentaries, introductory lectures;
- 12. Conclusion – final discussion
- Teaching methods
- Lecture, study projection with commentary, discussion.
- Assessment methods
- Final written test with multiple choice type questions (score 70% or higher). Students are expected and required to attend seminar classes of this course.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
General note: Předmět je určen i pro studenty mimo mateřské obory.