FF:KLBcA20 Reading Plinius` NH - Course Information
KLBcA20 Reading Plinius` NHFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Mgr. Soňa Hudíková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Zuzana Lukšová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Eliška Kazdová, CSc.
Department of Archaeology and Museology - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Jitka Šibíčková
Supplier department: Department of Classical Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Wed 10:50–12:25 B2.33
- KRBcA07 Latin I && KRBcA08 Latin II && KRBcA09 Latin III
Ability to understand and translate Latin written text with a dictionary
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Reading of Latin sources about the history of Classical creative arts: books 34-36 of Pliny's Naturalis historia on Classical sculpture and painting; passages from other Classical authors about this topic. At the end of this seminar students should be able to understand and use the latin terminology of sculpture and painting and be able to use this important source for gaining the knowledge about greek and roman art
- Reading and interpretation of the text written by Plinius - Natural history XXXIV (sculpture) and XXXVI (painting), Greek and Latin terminology of arts and the classiciste theory of art in imperial Rome
- Teaching methods
- class discussion with analysis of the text and information about the activity of greek sculptors and painters and about the existence of monuments of art in Rome
- Assessment methods
- Fulfillment Requirements for the assignement: - Basic orientation in the Plinius'vocabulary and terminology - Adequate participation in the work of the seminar - written final test or oral colloquium
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 0.