FF:LJ208 Individ. Reading (Sallust) - Course Information
LJ208 Individual Reading of SallustFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Mgr. Jana Mikulová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Jana Mikulová, Ph.D.
Department of Classical Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Jitka Erlebachová
Supplier department: Department of Classical Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- LJ204 Reading Seminar (Cicero) || NOW ( LJ204 Reading Seminar (Cicero) ) && (! LJBcAZkc Reading Sallust )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Latin Language and Literature (programme FF, B-LJ_) (2)
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to check whether students themselves are able to understand classical Latin text, namely Catilinae coniuratio by C. Sallustius Crispus.
- Learning outcomes
- The students should be able to understand, translate and comment on the work Catilinae coniuratio by C. Sallustius Crispus from the point of view of language characteristics and historical context.
- Reading ant translation of Sallust's Catilinae Coniuratio.
- Use of dictionaries, commentaries and grammar books.
- Archaisms in Sallust's language.
- Syntactic analysis of the text.
- Historical background of the work.
- required literature
- CONTE, Gian Biagio. Dějiny římské literatury. Translated by Dagmar Bartoňková. Vyd. 1. Praha: KLP-Koniasch Latin Press, 2003. 790 s. ISBN 8085917874. info
- SALLUSTIUS, Gaius Crispus. La Congiura di Catilina. Edited by Giancarlo Pontiggia. Milano: Oscar Mondadori, 1992. xxiii, 150. ISBN 8804361662. info
- SALLUSTIUS, Gaius Crispus. C. Sallusti Crispi De conjuratione Catilinæ ; De bello Jugurthino. Edited by Gaius Crispus Sallustius - Roger Lallier. Paris: Librairie Hachette et Cie, 1917. iv, 290. info
- recommended literature
- Sallust, the conspiracy of Catiline : a companion to the Penguin translation of S.A. Handford. Edited by Patrick McGushin - Gaius Crispus Sallustius. 1st pub. London: Bristol Classical Press, 1987. 123 s. ISBN 0862922674. info
- SALLUSTIUS, Gaius Crispus. Katilinovo spiknutí ; Válka s Jugurthou. Edited by Gaius Crispus Sallustius, Translated by Antonín Rausch. 1. vyd. v SNKLU. Praha: Státní nakladatelství krásné literatury a umění, 1962. 215 s. info
- not specified
- SALLUSTIUS, Gaius Crispus. Krieg und Revolution. Edited by Gaius Crispus Sallustius, Translated by Georg Dorminger. München: Wilhelm Goldmann, 1958. 144 s. info
- Teaching methods
- Reading Sallust is not a course regularly taught during the semester. Individual reading of Sallust's Catilinae Coniuratio, use of dictionaries and other tools, and, if necessary, consultation with teacher.
- Assessment methods
- The knowledge of Sallust's work is tested by translating selected passages into Czech and commenting on their linguistic features and historical and social context. The exaination is oral, students have time for preparing the translation. Examination takes place in the examination period as well as during the semester (in the latter case, it is necessary to make appointment personally or by e-mail).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught each semester.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 0.