FF:LMD_003 Medieval Latin - Course Information
LMD_003 Medieval LatinFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 15 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- doc. Mgr. Petra Mutlová, M.A., Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Dana Stehlíková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Petra Mutlová, M.A., Ph.D.
Department of Classical Studies - Faculty of Arts
Supplier department: Department of Classical Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Fri 21. 10. 14:00–15:40 A24, Fri 4. 11. 14:00–15:40 A24, Fri 25. 11. 14:00–15:40 A24, Fri 9. 12. 14:00–15:40 A24
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 13 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The course offers basic information about the charcted and function of Latin language in the Middle Ages. Medieval Latin is a historical, cultural and linguistic phenomenon that is a direct successor of Latin language and literature of Classical antiquity.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course students will be able to explain basic features of medieval Latin as a medieval linguistic phenomenon; they will be instructed about the most important differences between Medieval and Classical Latin; they will be able to characterise forms of medieval Latin prose and poetry; they will have a knowledge of the basic linguistic and literary terms relevant for research into medieval Latin language.
- Medieval Latin as a language phenomenon; its relation to Classical Latin;
- overview of research; basic tools for the study of the field (introductions, dictionaries);
- main linguistic and literary terminology; formal features of medieval Latin poetry and prose
- special features of medieval Latin manuscripts with regards to the language.
- required literature
- A. Vidmanová, „K některým otázkám středolatinské filologie.“ Listy filologické 86 (1963): 140-148.
- NECHUTOVÁ, Jana. Středověká latina. Vyd. 1. Praha: KLP-Koniasch Latin Press, 2002. 162 s. ISBN 8085917823. info
- recommended literature
- Medieval Latin : an introduction and bibliographical guide. Edited by F. A. C. Mantello - A. G. Rigg. Washington: Catholic University of America Press, 1996. xiv, 774. ISBN 0813208424. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures, seminar discussion.
- Assessment methods
- Credit based on regular and active class participation. Final written assignement.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught once in two years.
General note: Předmět je určen pro studenty se specializací Zemské jazyky v programech Český jazyk, Česká literatura a Germánské jazyky.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: blok.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2022/LMD_003