FF:NI01_05 Introduction to Linguistics - Course Information
NI01_05 Introduction to Dutch LanguageFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Mgr. Marta Kostelecká, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. Dr. Cor van Bree (lecturer)
Mgr. Sofie Rose-Anne W. Royeaerd, M.A. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Marta Kostelecká, Ph.D.
Department of German, Scandinavian and Netherland Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Mgr. Marta Kostelecká, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of German, Scandinavian and Netherland Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Thu 8:00–9:40 D32
- This is an obligatory course for the first year students of Dutch Lanugage and Literature. This course is taught in Czech, however basic knowledge of Dutch is essential.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Dutch Language and Literature (programme FF, B-FI) (2)
- Dutch Language and Literature (programme FF, B-HS)
- Dutch Language, Literature and Culture in Middle-European Context (programme FF, B-FI)
- Course objectives
- The aim of this course is to give the student the basic insight to the subject matter and methods of linguistic research. The topical question will be the human language and how to deal with the human language and how to do research within the human language. The students get familiar with the basic linguistic disciplines, the contemporary Dutch language politics and with the Dutch linguistic resources. Concrete problems and issues will be solved during seminars.
- Basic topics for the term:
- 1. Language, linguistics, methods of linguistic research.
- 2. Typological classification of languages.
- 3. Genealogical classification of languages.
- 4 - 8. Linguistic disciplines.
- 9. Language variation and language politics.
- 10. Dutch in the world.
- 11. Information sources.
- 12: Repetition
- Černý, J., Dějiny lingvistiky, Votobia 1996;
- Bennis, H., Syntaxis van het Nederlands, Amsterdam University Press 2000;
- Smedts, W./Paardekooper, P.C., De Nederlandse taalkunde in kaart, Leuven 1999;
- VRIES, Jan de., Peter BURGER and Roland WILLEMYS. Het verhaal van een taal :negen eeuwen Nederlands. 5de dr. Amsterdam: Prometheus, 1995. 315 s. ISBN 90-5333-423-8. info
- UHLENBECK, E. M. Taalwetenschap :een eerste inleiding. 's-Gravenhage: De Ned. Boek- en Steendrukkerij V/H H. L. Smits, 1972. 72 s. ISBN 90-70043-01-7. info
- Janssen, Theo (red.). Taal in gebruik. Een inleiding in de taalwetenschap. Sdu: 2003.
- Teaching methods
- Class (two hours per week); within the class a combination of teacher-led activities and student-centered/group learning activities will be employed.
- Assessment methods
- The course will be closed with a written and oral colloquium. the student has to pass a test and an oral exam where he/she talks about a chosen theme from the book History of Linguistics by J. Černý.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught once in two years.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/spring2020/NI01_05