FF:NJII_747B Austrian Literature - Course Information
NJII_747B Austrian LiteratureFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Erkan Osmanović, MA (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Aleš Urválek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Aleš Urválek, Ph.D.
Department of German, Scandinavian and Netherland Studies - Faculty of Arts
Supplier department: Department of German, Scandinavian and Netherland Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Mon 18:00–19:40 B2.32
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 30 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/30, only registered: 0/30
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 8 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- Why does contemporary literature still need a national limitation?
What is the meaning of the term "Austrian contemporary literature"?
And what are the special features and developments of this concept?
In this seminar, Austrian authors of the present day will be examined more closely.
On the one hand, their biographies and, on the other hand, their respective works should be presented in a wider context.
In a further step, stylistic or thematic peculiarities of the literary figures are discussed and also discussed about possible interpretations of the works.
In addition, each work is set and discussed in relation to a literary genre or theme.
At the end of the seminar, the students should have an overview of the newer generation of Austrian authors and a basic knowledge of the literary landscape of today's Austria.
- Learning outcomes
- After completing the course, students have:
an outstanding understanding of the Austrian literary landscape of the 1990s and 2000s.
trained and improved their interpretation skills
her literary theoretical knowledge not only expanded, but also intensively used in practice
got to know literary concepts, theories and language and apply them themselves
developed and used independent approaches to the interpretation of literary texts
improved their analytical skills
expanded their language skills (technical language)
Traditionslinien identified within the Austrian literature
- Preliminary seminar structure:
- 1. Organizational
- 2. Austrian contemporary literature. Currents and disturbances.
- 3. Austrian contemporary literature. Topic - Currents.
- 4. Arno Geiger -Es geht uns gut. Forgotten - Remember - Family.
- 5. Daniel Kehlmann - Die Vermessung der Welt. Broken story.
- 6. Franzobel - Mozarts Vision. Volksstück in a new guise?
- 7. Thomas Stangl - Regeln des Tanzes. Neo-Romanticism?
- 8. Paul Hochgatterer - Caretta, Caretta. Trials and Tribulations.
- 9. Kathrin Röggla - wir schlafen nicht. Work work work.
- 10. Thomas Glavinic - Das Leben der Wünsche. Eerie imagination.
- 11. Norbert Gstrein - Die englischen Jahre. Treacherous biography.
- 12. Anna Kim - Die Bilderspur. The stranger.
- 13. Recap. What can Austrian literature be?
- ZEYRINGER, Klaus. Österreichische Literatur seit 1945 : Überblicke, Einschnitte, Wegmarken. Innsbruck: StudienVerlag, 2008. 570 s. ISBN 9783706546164. info
- Österreichische Literatur 1987 : ein Pressespiegel. Edited by Ursula Seeber-Weyrer. Wien: Dokumentationsstelle für neuere österreichische Literatur, 1988. 111 s. ISBN 3900467153. info
- Teaching methods
- The students shall be familiar with representatives of the latest Austrian contemporary literature, using the following steps:
Self-directed questions-guided (home) reading of the books
Discussion and comparison of individual home reading in the seminar within small groups
Discussion of the answers developed in plenary
Subsequent lecture by the lecturer, in which topics continue to be carried out and also literary-theoretical elements are added
- Assessment methods
- The students have to write a short term paper. For the following points apply:
3-4 A4 pages
scientific language and formal design
Elaboration on the basis of three basic questions on each of the works covered in the seminar
Delivery at the end of the semester
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2019/NJII_747B