FF:PG32B66 Social communication - Course Information
PG32B66 Social and educational communicationFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- doc. Mgr. Klára Šeďová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Petr Novotný, Ph.D.
Department of Educational Sciences - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Ivana Klusáková
Supplier department: Department of Educational Sciences - Faculty of Arts
- Thu 14:00–15:40 J22
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 15 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 14/15, only registered: 1/15, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 1/15
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The aim of this course is to introduce students to the concept of social and educational communication. In the first part of the course, attention will be paid to general theories and concepts describing interpersonal communication. The second part of the course will focus on the analysis of classroom communication between the teacher and the students. The core of the course lies in explaining the relationship between communication, thinking and learning. Educational communication is conceived as an instrument by which a teacher can influence students’ thinking and intensify their learning. It also takes into account the fact that classroom communication has its relational side – the teacher and the students negotiate their mutual relationships and power patterns. The course also involves working with authentic recordings of classroom communication aimed at demonstrating and understanding different communication phenomena that occur in the classroom.
- Learning outcomes
- Upon completion of the course students will be able to: Use basic communication terminology, concepts and theoretical background for the study of educational communication. Understand the relationship between communication, thinking and learning. Describe the structure of common educational communication as identified by current research. Explain the theoretical concept of dialogic teaching and research mapping its implementation and effects. Understand the relationship dynamics of the classroom, especially the power relations between the teacher and the students. Work with transcripts of educational communication in a methodologically correct way, subject them to basic analysis and interpret them.
- 1. Social and educational communication: Basic concepts. 2. Communication as a process. Content and relational aspects of communication. 3. Verbal communication. Language as a sign system. Language and thought. 4. Non-verbal communication. Time and space in educational communication. 5. Communication situation in the classroom. Structure of educational communication. 6. Communication and learning. 7. Teaching issues. Feedback and evaluation in educational communication. 8. Participation of students in educational communication. 9. Concept of dialogic teaching. Indicators and principles of dialogic teaching. 10. Dialogic teaching: Advantages and limitations. 11. Relational level in educational communication. Interactive teacher style. 12. Power in the classroom. Power in dialogic teaching.
- required literature
- ŠEĎOVÁ, Klára, Roman ŠVAŘÍČEK and Zuzana ŠALAMOUNOVÁ. Komunikace ve školní třídě (Communication in classroom). Vyd. 1. Praha: Portál, 2012. 293 pp. ISBN 978-80-262-0085-7. info
- GAVORA, Peter. Učitel a žáci v komunikaci. Translated by Veronika Lyková. Brno: Paido, 2005. 165 stran. ISBN 8073151049. info
- recommended literature
- MAREŠ, Jiří and Jaro KŘIVOHLAVÝ. Komunikace ve škole. Vydání první. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 1995. 210 stran. ISBN 8021010703. info
- DEVITO, Joseph A. Základy mezilidské komunikace. Translated by Milan Bartůšek - Jiří Rezek. 1. vyd. Praha: Grada, 2001. 420 s. ISBN 8071699888. info
- VYBÍRAL, Zbyněk. Psychologie lidské komunikace (Psychology of the Human Communication). Praha: Portál, 2000. 264 pp. ISBN 80-7178-291-2. info
- SALZMANN, Zdeněk. Jazyk, kultura a společnost : úvod do lingvistické antropologie : Language, culture, & society: an introduction to linguistic anthropology (Orig.). Translated by Zdeněk Hlavsa - Jaroslava Hlavsová - Vladimíra Šatavová. 1. vyd. Praha: Ústav pro etnografii a folkloristiku AV ČR, 1997. 211 s. : i. ISBN 0009-0794. info
- WATZLAWICK, Paul, Don D. JACKSON and Janet Beavin BAVELASOVÁ. Pragmatika lidské komunikace :interakční vzorce, patologie a paradoxy. Translated by Barbora Zídková - Zbyněk Vybíral. Vyd. 1. Hradec Králové: Konfrontace, 1999. 243 s. ISBN 80-86088-04-9. info
- not specified
- ŠEĎOVÁ, Klára, Roman ŠVAŘÍČEK, Martin SEDLÁČEK and Zuzana ŠALAMOUNOVÁ. Jak se učitelé učí. Cestou profesního rozvoje k dialogickému vyučování (How teachers learn. Professional development as a way to dialogic teaching). 1. vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2016. 325 pp. ISBN 978-80-210-8462-9. info
- Teaching methods
- Lecture, seminar, analysis of educational communication transcripts
- Assessment methods
- Active participation in seminars, credit test
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.