FF:PRJsU3 Translation Seminar III (Trans - Course Information
PRJsU3 Translation Seminar III (Translation of Literary Texts)Faculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Polina Zolina, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Jiří Gazda, CSc.
Department of Slavonic Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: doc. PhDr. Jiří Gazda, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Slavonic Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Mon 10:00–11:40 L21
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- At the end of this course the students will be able to understand the function of translation as a communicative process and its role in the culture of the nation; translation will be appreciated as a form of reception. The students will be able to translate drama. They will understand the function of dialogue as a characterizing device. Attention will be paid to introductory sentences of plays. The style of the translation of drama will be discussed, as well as the problems of TV dubbing and film script translation. The students will be able to understand the differences between Czech and Russian poetry and their metric and poetic traditions. They will be able to analyse translations of poetry and to translate poetry themselves.
- 1. Contemporary translation studies focused on translation and other current issues.
- 2. Current issues of an artistic translation of dramas and poetry books.
- 3. Function of a dialogue in prose and poetic texts. Poetic texts and quotations from songs in different literary genres, problems of its translations.
- 4. Poetics of a drama and film- or television scenario.
- 5. Poetics of an artistic translation of a drama and film- or television scenario.
- 6. Individual translation of a drama scene, part of a drama or a film with analysis of the whole text and secondary literature about the author.
- 7. Problems of comparative versology.
- 8. Russian and Czech verses from the versologic point of view. 9. Poetics of a poetic piece.
- 10. Poetics of a poem, poetic cycle.
- 11. Poetics of a poetic translation.
- 12. Individual translation of a poem and its interpretation.
- Teaching methods
- Theoretical preparation, group analysis of translations elaborated at home, analysis of texts and issues of translation of a drama or a poem.
- Assessment methods
- Active work in class.Paper on current issues of translation, especially of a drama, film or television dubbing or of a translation of poetry. Individual translation of a chosen short drama scene or part of a drama, attended by a characteristic of a chosen text, version of verses of a specifically chosen author and handing in the essay. A summary of all the pieces of knowledge will be examined orally or in colloquial writing.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2019/PRJsU3