FF:PV2A313 Medieval German I - Course Information
PV2A313 Medieval German and the Fundamentals of the Development of the LanguageFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
Taught in person.
- Mgr. Vlastimil Brom, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Vlastimil Brom, Ph.D.
Department of German, Scandinavian and Netherland Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Olga Barová
Supplier department: Department of German, Scandinavian and Netherland Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Mon 10:00–11:40 B2.32
- ! PV2A207 Historical German Language I && ! AR2A207 Historical German Language I
An everyday communicative knowledge of German; the ability to read and understand normal texts in contemporary German.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Auxiliary Historical Sciences (programme FF, N-PV_) (3)
- Course objectives
- During the course, students will acquire a comprehensive overview of the development of the older stages of the German language until the Middle Ages, including an outline of its Indo-European and Germanic basis. Phonology and morphology are a particular focus of attention, as are the development of graphic systems and a basic overview of the historical, social and cultural context. At the same time, more general aspects of language development are presented with older language material, such as the conditions, manifestations, and the effects of language changes, for the understanding of older sources.
- Learning outcomes
- After completing the course, the student will be able to:
- be familiar with the basic aspects of the early development of the German language and able to apply them in understanding and analysing old German texts;
- work with medieval, late Gothic and cursive texts in German and broaden their language skills;
- to reflect on developmental changes and to conduct a stylistic and content analysis of older texts.
- Language development and its characteristics;
- Indo-European protolanguage, Germanic languages, Old Upper German - basic overview of spelling and morphology;
- Middle High German, Overview of German dialects;
- A brief overview of written systems, the specifics of German-language texts;
- Cursive and Gothic print
- MASAŘÍK, Zdeněk. Historická němčina pro archiváře. 1. vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 1993. 133 s. ISBN 8021008075. info
- MASAŘÍK, Zdeněk and Vlastimil BROM. Historische Entwicklung des Deutschen: Übersichtstabellen - Kommentare - Textproben (Historical Development of German - Tables - Comments - Texts). Brno: Masarykova univerzita v Brně, 2005. 129 pp. 1. Vyd. ISBN 80-210-3696-6. info
- BOKOVÁ, Hildegard and Libuše SPÁČILOVÁ. Kurzes frühneuhochdeutsches Glossar zu Quellen aus den böhmischen Ländern. Edited by Václav Bok - Vladimír Spáčil - Jana Kusová. 1. vydání. V Olomouci: Univerzita Palackého, 2003. xxxv, 536. ISBN 802440737X. info
- Teaching methods
- Lecture; practical work with a text - historical content and linguistic interpretation.
- Assessment methods
- Continuous work during semester; final written test.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2022/PV2A313