FF:SJIIA109 Varieties of Spanish - Course Information
SJIIA109 Varieties of SpanishFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. Mgr. Ivo Buzek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Zuzana Ďaďová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. José Luis Bellón Aguilera, PhD.
Department of Romance Languages and Literatures - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Mgr. Milada Malá, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Romance Languages and Literatures - Faculty of Arts
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 8 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to offer an introduction to dialectology and linguistic geography as disciplines exeplifying their general postupates on examples of geographic varieties of the contemporary Spanish language. Special attention will be paid on the fact that dialectology is mainly diachronic discipline and that geographical spread and stratification of varieties of Spanish have their specific historical and social background. At the end of the course students will be able to interpret geographical variation of Spanish from various internal as well external points of view.
- 1. Introduction to linguistic diversity of Spanish: internal and external factors
- 2. Areas of Spanish in Europe: a. Castilian Spanish
- b. Andalusian varieties of Spanish
- c. Spanish in Canary Islands
- 3. Areas of Spanish in America
- a. General introduction to Spanish in America
- b. Caribbean Spanish
- c. Mexican Spanish and Central American Spanish
- d. Andean Spanish
- e. Spanish in the Rio de la Plata region
- f. Chilean Spanish
- g. Spanish in the USA
- 4. Spanish in Africa and Asia
- required literature
- LÓPEZ MORALES, Humberto. La andadura del español por el mundo. Madrid: Taurus, 2010. 464 s. ISBN 9788430608041. info
- MORENO FERNÁNDEZ, Francisco. La lengua española en su geografía. Madrid: Arco/Libros, 2009. 506 s. ISBN 9788476357835. info
- recommended literature
- MORENO FERNÁNDEZ, Francisco. Historia social de las lenguas de España. 1a ed. Barcelona: Ariel, 2005. 287 s. ISBN 8434482630. info
- LÓPEZ MORALES, Humberto. La aventura del español en América. Pozuelo de Alarcón, Madrid: Espasa, 2005. 279 s. ISBN 8467019921. info
- PENNY, Ralph J. Variación y cambio en español. Edited by Juan Sánchez Méndez. Madrid: Gredos, 2004. 391 s. ISBN 8424927303. info
- Teaching methods
- Lecture and seminar:
a. Definitions of basic notions from dialectlogy and linguistic geography of Spanish, with real examples (texts, videos, recordings)
b. Basic characteristics of different varieties of Spanish with real examples
Compulsory reading tasks with questions
- Assessment methods
- Evaluation of answers on questions formulated in compulsory reading tasks.
Participation in class.
Written test (exam) in the end.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.