FF:SJIIB969 Spanish in the USA - Course Information
SJIIB969 Spanish in the USAFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. Mgr. Ivo Buzek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. José Luis Bellón Aguilera, PhD.
Department of Romance Languages and Literatures - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Mgr. Milada Malá, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Romance Languages and Literatures - Faculty of Arts
- Tue 14:00–15:40 N43
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 20 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 6/20, only registered: 1/20
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 7 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to offer a complex introduction into Spanish language in the USA. After a short historic bakground the main attention will paid to:
1. Characteristics of the genuine USA Spanish, as it has developed till today
2. Current situation in the area of imported Latin American Spanish varieties and chief characteristics of their interaction with the majority English language.
At the end of the course studenst should be able to identify and interpret correspondingly various phonetic-phonological, morphosyntactic and lexical-semantic aspects of current forms of Spanish present today in the USA.
- 1. History and geography of the patrimonial USA Spanish
- 2. Characteristics of the patrimonial USA Spanish
- ç 3. Varieties of Spanish and its distribution in the USA
- 4. "Spanglish": linguistic characteristics
- 5. Bilinguism, code mixing and code switching
- 6. Teaching Spanish in the USA
- required literature
- Moreno Fernández, F. La lengua española en su geografía. Madrid: Arco/Libros, 2009
- López Morales, H. Andadura del español por el mundo. Madrid: Taurus, 2010.
- recommended literature
- Garrido, J. "El español en los Estados Unidos". In El español en América. Contactos lingüísticos en Hispanoamérica. Coord. A. Palacios. Barcelona: Ariel, 2008, pp. 17-32.
- López Morales H. (coord.). Enciclopedia del español en los Estados Unidos. Madrid: Santillana, 2009.
- Alvar, M. "Los Estados Unidos". In Manual de dialectología hispánica. El español de América. Coord. M. Alvar. Barcelona: Ariel, 1996, pp. 90-100.
- Teaching methods
- Lecture: exposition and definitions of basic terms and their exemplification on authentic texts and/or audiovisual material.
Seminar: analysis and interpretation in class of various features studied on authentic examples and texts.
Obligatory lectures every week (extracts or theoretical papers)
- Assessment methods
- Lectures and class discussion.
Homeworks (reading tasks).
Written test (exam).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Minimální počet studentů: 5
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2019/SJIIB969