FF:FAVMKa090 Film criticism - Course Information
FAVMKa090 Film criticismFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Ondřej Pavlík (lecturer)
PhDr. Jaromír Blažejovský, Ph.D. (alternate examiner)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Pavel Skopal, Ph.D.
Department of Film Studies and Audiovisual Culture - Faculty of Arts
Supplier department: Department of Film Studies and Audiovisual Culture - Faculty of Arts
- Sat 5. 10. 14:00–17:40 C34, Sat 19. 10. 14:00–17:40 C34, Sat 30. 11. 14:00–17:40 C34
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 43 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/43, only registered: 0/43
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Theory and History of Film and Audiovisual Culture (programme FF, N-FAV_)
- Film and Audio-Visual Culture Studies (programme FF, N-HS)
- Film and Audio-Visual Culture Studies (programme FF, N-OT) (2)
- Course objectives
- The course on film criticism seeks to encompass both theory and practice. On the one hand, the course will introduce several different approaches to film criticism and types of critical writing, including theoretical thinking about criticism. On the other hand, students will hand in their or reviews and other kinds of critical texts that will test their skills of phrasing, argumentation or style. The aim of the course is to widen the students' knowledge of film criticism, its traditions and possibilities, and to improve their own writing.
- Learning outcomes
- After finishing this course, students will have been able to:
- be knowledgeable in various traditions of film criticism and their proponents
- express themselves in various genres of critical writing
- Introduction to film criticism
- Critical evaluation
- Impressionistic criticism
- Review for a popular magazine
- Review for a specialized revue
- Newspaper review
- Web review
- required literature
- BLAŽEJOVSKÝ, Jaromír. Oko. srdce, mozek, pero a pěst. Emiprické poznámky před deštivou komnatou (Eye, Heart, Brain, Pen and Fist. Empirical Notes before the Rainy Room). Cinepur. Sdružení přátel Cinepuru, 2015, vol. 21, No 100, p. 62-64. ISSN 1213-516X. info
- not specified
- CIESLAR, Jiří. Kočky na Atalantě. 1. vyd. V Praze: Akademie múzických umění, 2003. 572 s. ISBN 80-85883-89-9. info
- BORDWELL, David. Making meaning : inference and rhetoric in the interpretation of cinema. 1st Harvard University Press. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1991. xvi, 334. ISBN 067454336X. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures, class discussion, watching films, homework
- Assessment methods
- Exam requirements: critical texts, summary of assigned literature, student's activity in the seminar
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught once in two years.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: Kombinovaná forma: 16 hodin/semestr.