FF:ETBB113 Mass Culture - Course Information
ETBB113 Mass CultureFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- prof. PhDr. Martina Pavlicová, CSc. (lecturer)
prof. PhDr. Alena Křížová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. et Mgr. Eva Chovancová (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. PhDr. Martina Pavlicová, CSc.
Department of European Ethnology - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Martina Maradová
Supplier department: Department of European Ethnology - Faculty of Arts
- Thu 10:00–11:40 J31
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The course Mass Culture introduces students to sphere of culture, that connects with technical development and global world. Unified manifestations of mass culture are contrasts of traditional folk culture and often impulses for its changes or ending.
- Learning outcomes
- After the completion of this course students will be able to describe the issues of mass (popular) culture on selected examples from the areas of literary, visual artistic, or musical culture. They will be able to assess its influence on folk tradition and will be able to identify interaction moments between both of the cultural spheres mentioned. Students will be able to describe the principles of the functioning of mass (popular) culture and its mechanisms, which have changed the autochtonous form of traditional culture substantially in the last one hundred years.
- 1. Culture and theory of culture.
- 2. Mass media and their roles.
- 3. Word and literature in the light of mass culture.
- 4. Folk song as opposed to so called “lidovka“ (folksy song) in the traditional repertoire.
- 5. Mass art as a part of visual culture.
- 6. Amateur production and do-it-yourself.
- 7. Contemporary visual arts folklorism.
- recommended literature
- BARKER, Chris. Slovník kulturálních studií. Translated by Irena Reifová - Kateřina Gillárová - Michal Pospíšil. Vydání první. Praha: Portál, 2006. 206 stran. ISBN 8073670992. info
- Od folkloru k folklorismu : slovník folklorního hnutí v Čechách. Edited by Alena Vondrušková. Vyd. 1. Strážnice: Ústav lidové kultury, 2000. 171 s. ISBN 8086156354. info
- Od folkloru k folklorismu : slovník folklorního hnutí na Moravě a ve Slezsku. Edited by Martina Pavlicová - Lucie Uhlíková. Strážnice: Ústav lidové kultury, 1997. 238 s. ISBN 8086156060. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures, reading, discussion.
- Assessment methods
- Written test.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: Kombinované studium 14 hodin přímé výuky v semestru.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2021/ETBB113