PřF:Bi0036 Metagenomics - Course Information
Bi0036 MetagenomicsFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Iva Buriánková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Petra Vídeňská, Ph.D. (lecturer), Mgr. Iva Buriánková, Ph.D. (deputy)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Iva Buriánková, Ph.D.
Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: Ing. Jiřina Kučerová, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
- Mon 1. 3. to Fri 14. 5. Thu 10:00–11:50 online_B4
- Bi4090 General microbiology || Bi2060 Basic microbiology || Bi7170 Medical microbiology
The lecture is intended primarily for students interested in microbiology and students interested in ecology of microorganisms.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 20 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 10/20, only registered: 0/20, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/20
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 9 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- Metagenomics deals with the study of genomes of related, but not entirely identical, microbial populations using genetic and molecular techniques.Part of the lecture cycle will also include lectures by invited experts and demonstration of devices used in the study of microbial communities, especially second generation sequencers.
- Learning outcomes
- - Overview of the available next-generation sequencing devices - Principles and differences of individual sequencing platforms - Various metagenomic approaches – wholemetagenomic sequencing, sequencing of 16S rRNA gene - Appropriate sampling of different types of matrices for metagenomic studies - Theoretical preparation of libraries - available technologies, control steps - Analysis of data and databases - The real problems of studying microbial communities - Water, soil and human microbiome - Metatranskriptomics (RNA study from microbiome communities)
- 1. History, metagenomics key words and familiarization with sampling methods and bacterial DNA isolation. 2. Second-generation sequencing and other modern molecular-biological techniques used in metagenomics. 3. Introduction to metagenomics of eukaryotic microorganisms. 4. Introduction to viral metagenomics. 5. Microbial composition in different types of environment, such as human digestive tract, water, soil. 8. Practical demonstration of programs for the analysis of metagenomic studies focusing on bacterial communities. 9. Metatranscriptomics
- Schwiertz,A. Microbiota of the human body
- Beneti,C. Metagenomics: methods, application and perspectives,
- Teaching methods
- Lecture and discussion of the issue.
- Assessment methods
- Discussion during lectures, presentation preparation, oral exam
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
General note: Předmět se doporučuje zapsat v 2. nebo 4. semestru.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/spring2021/Bi0036