PřF:Bi1051 Intro. to Comp. Biology II - Course Information
Bi1051 Introduction to Computational Biology and Biomedicine IIFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/0/0. 1 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- prof. RNDr. Ladislav Dušek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
RNDr. Jiří Jarkovský, Ph.D. (lecturer)
RNDr. Tomáš Pavlík, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Eva Budinská, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- RNDr. Tomáš Pavlík, Ph.D.
RECETOX - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: Mgr. Eva Budinská, Ph.D.
Supplier department: RECETOX - Faculty of Science
- Mon 12:00–13:50 A1/609 - IBA (A1,6.p, Kamenice 3)
- None - it is a basic course.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- To provide students with introduction to the field of Computational Biology and Biomedicine with focus on the specialization Biomedical Bioinformatics. In particular, selected topics in bioinformatics will be covered using examples and the basics of theory.
- Learning outcomes
- After the course, the student will:
- get basic information about the structure of the study program, the individual subjects and their continuity,
- be able to define areas of interest in mathematical and computational biology,
- be oriented in basics of analysis of data coming from molecular biology experiments and its potential limitations,
- be oriented in potential areas of topics for bachelor theses in computational biology.
- 1. Introduction to Recetox and IBA LF MU and the study plan for Biomedical Bioinformatics.
- 2. Mathematics, biology, computational biology, biomedicine, bioinformatics.
- 3. Design of molecular biology experiments, genomics and proteomics, biotechnologies.
- 4. Basic question, that can be answered in molecular biology experiments.
- 5. Data analysis methods for molecular biology experiments.
- 6. Analysis of DNA sequences.
- 7. Analysis of genomic a proteomic data.
- DUŠEK, Ladislav, Jiří HŘEBÍČEK and Jiří JARKOVSKÝ. Proceedings of 1st International Summer School on Computational Biology. Brno: Masaryk University Press, 2005. 200 pp. Proceedings of 1st International Summer School. ISBN 80-210-3907-8. info
- BUDINSKA, Eva, Otakar FOJT and Ladislav DUŠEK. Bioinformatics in Genomics and Proteomics Data. 2009. URL info
- BUDINSKA, Eva and Zbyněk BORTLÍČEK. E-learning in genomic and proteomic data analysis. 2009. URL info
- Bioinformatics and computational biology solutions using R and bioconductor. Edited by Robert Gentleman. New York: Springer, 2005. xix, 473. ISBN 0387251464. info
- Teaching methods
- lectures and discussion
- Assessment methods
- attending lectures, essay on topic related to study program
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.