PřF:Bi4020 Molecular biology - Course Information
Bi4020 Molecular biologyFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 3/0/0. 3 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. RNDr. Jan Šmarda, CSc. (lecturer)
prof. RNDr. Jana Šmardová, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Jan Šmarda, CSc.
Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Jiří Doškař, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
- ! Bi4010 Essential molecular biology
Basic knowledge of general zoology and botany, microbiology, genetics, physiology, organic chemistry and biochemistry.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 31 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of the subject is to acquaint students with the structure of genomes of all groups of oragnisms, to explain how genetic information is stored in them, how this information is stored and realized. Students are familiar with the processes by which genetic information can change, its implications on the phenotypic level, and how to genetically change information.
- Learning outcomes
- Students will be able to understand and explain basic principles of molecular biology and genetics on molecular level and their basic phenomena - the structure, replication, expression and changes of genes.
- 1. History of molecular biology. Nucleic acids (primary, secondary and tertiary structure of DNA and RNA, different conformations of DNA and their significance in biological systems)
- 2. Genetic information and the genetic code.
- . 3. Molecular structure of procaryotic and eucaryotic genome.
- 4. Replication of procaryotic and eucaryotic genome
- 5. Transcription of prokaryotic and euckryotic genome. Posttranscriptional modification and processing of RNA, especially in eukaryotes. Mechanisms of splicing and self-splicing
- 6. Translation of prokaryotic and eukaryotic mRNA. Posttranslational processing
- 7. Regulation of gene expression in prokaryotes and eukaryotes
- 8. Molecular basis of acquired immunity
- 9. Molecular mechanisms of mutagenesis and recombination Molecular basis of cancerogenesis (oncogenes, antioncogenes. Repair mechanisms of damaged DNA
- 10. Mobile genetic elements, Transposons and retrotransposons.
- 11. Basic principles of gene engineering
- recommended literature
- WILSON, John and Tim HUNT. Molecular biology of the cell : the problems book / John Wilson and Tim Hunt. Sixth edition. New York: Garland Science, 2014. xvi, 966. ISBN 9780815344537. info
- CLARK, David P. Molecular biology. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2005. xviii, 784. ISBN 0121755517. info
- ALBERTS, Bruce. Základy buněčné biologie : úvod do molekulární biologie buňky a : Essential cell biology (Orig.). Ústí nad Labem: Espero Publishing,. xxvi, 630,. info
- not specified
- SNUSTAD, D. Peter and Michael J. SIMMONS. Genetika. Edited by Jiřina Relichová. Druhé, aktualizované vydá. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2017. xix, 844. ISBN 9788021086135. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures are based on power-point pictures, tables and texts elaborated accordindg to textbooks, monographs and scientific papers which are explained and complemented with teacher comments. All the presentations are available on IS MUNI.
- Assessment methods
- Visiting of the course is not obligatory. The exam is a written test in which students should answer 50 questions covering main topics of individual lectures. To pass the exam the students should answer 60% of the answers.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Bi0580 Developmetal Genetics
(souhlas || Ex_3162 || Imp_9126 || B1900 || BMB32 || B6730 || B8470 || B3060 || Bi3060) && (Ex_3065 || Imp_9115 || B3120 || B4020 || B5740 || B6130 || B7940 || Bi4010 || Bi4020) && (Bi6081 || Bi6087 || Bi6088 || souhlas)
- Bi1100 Mechanisms of hormonal regulation
Bi3030 || Bi6790 && (NOW(Bi4020) || Bi4020)
- Bi4010 Essential molecular biology
!Bi4020 && NOW(Bi4010c)
- Bi4020c Molekulární biologie - cvičení
(C1600 || C1080 || C1620 || C1650 || C2100 || C2500 || C2740 || C2480 || Bi9410 || souhlas) && (Bi4020 || NOW(Bi4020)) && !NOWANY(Bi4010c,Bi4035) && !Bi4010c && !Bi4035
- Bi4030c Molecular biology - practice
Bi4020 || NOW(Bi4020)
- Bi5000 Bioinformatics
Bi4010 || Bi4020
- Bi5420 General virology
(Bi4020 || NOW(Bi4020)) && (Bi4090 || NOW(Bi4090))
- Bi5599 Applied Biochemistry and Cell Biology Methods
Bi4020 && C3580
- Bi6270 Cytogenetics
Bi3060 && Bi4020
- Bi0580 Developmetal Genetics