PřF:Bi7533c Soil ecotox. - lab. course - Course Information
Bi7533c Soil ecotoxicology - laboratory courseFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/3. 3 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Dana Fojtová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jana Vašíčková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
doc. RNDr. Jakub Hofman, Ph.D. (alternate examiner)
- prof. RNDr. Luděk Bláha, Ph.D.
Research Centre for Toxic Compounds in the Environment (RECETOX) - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: Mgr. Jana Vašíčková, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Research Centre for Toxic Compounds in the Environment (RECETOX) - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
- NOW ( Bi7533 Soil ecotoxicology )
Students should attend Bi7533 Soil ecotoxicology lecture as well. Basic knowledge of general ecotoxicology is preferred.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 15 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 8/15, only registered: 0/15, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/15
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- After attending the course, students should be able to:
Prepare OECD artificial soil and determine its properties
Calculate concentrations of tested chemical spiked to the soil
Prepare contaminated soil
Manipulate with soil organisms
Test soil ecotoxicity with four soil bioassays
Evaluate dose - response curves with several statistical methods
- Learning outcomes
- Student will be able to:
- manipulate with model soil organisms
- perform basic soil ecotoxicity tests
- evaluate the data obtained during toxicity testing - link the theoretical knowledge and practical experience gained during soil ecotoxicity testing
- The course is laboratory praxis, where students are acquainted with basic soil ecotoxicity bioassays and learn how to perform these tests.
- 1. Start of earthworm Eisenia fetida culture
- 2. Start of enchytraeid Enchytraeus albidus and Enchytraeus crypticus culture
- 3. Start of springtail Folsomia candida culture
- 4. Start of nematode Caenorhabditis elegans culture
- 5. Learning how to care for cultures, culture books, plan of rota
- 6. Care for cultures (routine during the term)
- 7. Artificial soil preparation, control of pH and WHC
- 8. Spiking the soil with toxic chemical at desired concentrations
- 9. Start of Eisenia fetida test
- 10. Start of Enchytraeus albidus and Enchytraeus crypticus tests
- 11. Start of Folsomia candida test
- 12. Start of Caenorhabditis elegans test and the evaluation
- 13. Evaluation the results of Enchytraeus crypticus test
- 14. Evaluation the results of Folsomia candida test
- 15. Evaluation the results of Enchytraeus albidus test
- 16. Evaluation the results of Eisenia fetida test
- 17. Evaluation of dose - response curves - LC50, NOEC, LOEC a EC50
- LOKKE, H. AND VAN GESTEL, C.A.M. (1998): Handbook of soil invertebrate toxicity tests. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester. ISBN 0-471-97103-0. 281p.
- Soil ecotoxicology. Edited by Joseph Tarradellas - Gabriel Bitton - Dominique Rossel. Boca Raton: Lewis Publishers, 1996. 386 s. ISBN 1-56670-134-1. info
- Teaching methods
- At the beginning of the term, there are demonstration lectures followed by almost independent laboratory experiments performed in groups of students controlled and supervised by lecturer. Attendance in experimental work is mandatory. Work in the laboratory follows exact rules (manual to exercises) given by lecturer at the course beginning. Students work in teams and generate together also final reports.
- Assessment methods
- For credits it is mandatory: 1) be present in the course, 2) be actively participating during the laboratory work, 3) provide final protocols (reports) containing overview of the methods used, gained results (measured and calculated indices), interpretation of the results.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: bloková nepravidelná výuka cca 40 hod za semestr.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/autumn2018/Bi7533c