PřF:Bi8780 System & phylogeny of insects - Course Information
Bi8780 System and phylogeny of insectsFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 4/0. 4 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Igor Malenovský, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. RNDr. Jaromír Vaňhara, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Jaromír Vaňhara, CSc.
Department of Botany and Zoology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Jaromír Vaňhara, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Botany and Zoology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
- Bi1030 Syst. & evol. of invertebrates &&( Bi6760 Entomology ||( NOW ( Bi6760 Entomology )))
Completion or parallel registration of Bi6760 Entomology.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- At the end of this course, students will be able to understand and comment on the system of insects and its structure; he/she will be able to use this information for practical identification of insects; on the basis of the gained knowledge he/she will be able to identify also unknown taxa and to interpret them in his/her diploma thesis, publications etc. It is recommended to register in parallel the Advanced Invertebrate Identification Course and the Entomology Field Course.
- Systematics of insects, milestones in the history of insect classification, present hypotheses, points of controversy
- HEXAPODA Entognatha: Protura, Diplura, Collembola
- Ectognatha, Insecta: Archaeognatha, Zygentoma, Pterygota
- Palaeoptera: Ephemeroptera, Odonata
- Neoptera Polyneoptera: Plecoptera, Blattodea (incl. Isoptera), Mantodea, Zoraptera, Grylloblattodea, Mantophasmatodea, Phasmatodea, Embioptera, Dermaptera, Orthoptera
- Paraneoptera (Acercaria): Psocodea (incl. Psocoptera, Amblycera, Ischnocera, Anoplura, Rhynchophthirina), Thysanoptera, Hemiptera: Sternorrhyncha, Fulgoromorpha, Cicadomorpha, Coleorrhyncha, Heteroptera
- Holometabola (Endopterygota): Megaloptera, Raphidioptera, Neuroptera, Coleoptera, Strepsiptera, Trichoptera, Lepidoptera, Mecoptera, Siphonaptera, Diptera, Hymenoptera
- recommended literature
- GULLAN, P. J. and P. S. CRANSTON. The insects : an outline of entomology. Illustrated by Karina Hansen McInnes. 4th ed. Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010. xvi, 565. ISBN 9781444330366. info
- GRIMALDI, David A. and Michael S. ENGEL. Evolution of the insects. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2005. xv, 755. ISBN 0521821495. info
- Encyclopedia of insects. Edited by Vincent H. Resh - Ring T. Cardé. Amsterdam: Academic press, 2003. xxviii, 12. ISBN 0125869908. info
- not specified
- Encyclopedia of entomology. Edited by John L. Capinera. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004. xli, 815. ISBN 0792386701. info
- Teaching methods
- Theoretical knowledge will be presented in lectures prepared by specialists on each higher taxon, on the whole 15 lecturers, practical training within this course (as far as included by the individual lecturers) + further recommended practical courses (see above)
- Assessment methods
- written final test + practical oral exam in insect identification
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
General note: a prerekvizita Bi6760-zapsáno alespoň souběžně s Bi8780.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: +doporučená praktická cvičení Bi0055, Bi8760.