PřF:C6260 Protein Separation - Course Information
C6260 Methods of Protein SeparationFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/0/0. 1 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: k (colloquium).
- prof. RNDr. Zdeněk Glatz, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Zdeněk Glatz, CSc.
Department of Biochemistry - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
Supplier department: Department of Biochemistry - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
- Wed 12:00–12:50 B11/205
- ! C6200 Biochemical Methods && ( C3580 Biochemistry && ( C3600 Biochemistry-lab.course || C3620 Biochemistry-lab.course ))
Basic knowledges from general biochemistry in range of the lectures Biochemistry I (C3181) or Biochemistry(C3580).
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 16 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- At the end of the course students should have the basic knowledges from separation methods in biochemistry or molecular biology, which are used for protein purification including the basic manipulation with biological samples - extraction, clarification, precipitation, ultrafiltration and lyophilisation,chromatography methods and electromigration methods.
- 1.Introduction. Basic Preparation. Purification Strategy. 2.Clarification and Extraction. Centrifugation. 3.Phase Separation. Precipitation and Selective Denaturation. Membrane Separation. 4.Ultrafiltration and Lyophilisation. Laboratory Water Preparation. 5.Chromatography. Basic Principles. 6.Adsorption and Partition Chromatography. 7.Ion-exchange Chromatography. Chromatofocusing. 8.Reverse Phase and Ion Pair Chromatography. Hydrophobic Chromatography 9.Gel Permeation Chromatography. 10.Affinity Chromatography. 11.Electromigration Methods. Basic Principles. 12.Free and Zone Electrophoresis. 13.Isoelectric Focusing. 14.Isotachophoresis.
- ANZENBACHER, Pavel and Jan KOVÁŘ. Metody chemického výzkumu pro biochemiky. 1. vyd. Praha: Ministerstvo školství ČSR, 1986. 199 s. info
- Guide to protein purification. Edited by Murray P. Deutscher. San Diego: Academic Press, 1990. xiii, 894. ISBN 0-12-213585-7. info
- Protein purification methods : a practical approach. Edited by E. L. V. Harris - S. Angal. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1989. xvi, 317. ISBN 0199630038. info
- A practical guide to membrane protein purification. Edited by Gebhard von Jagow - Hermann Schägger. San Diego: Academic Press, 1994. 166 s. ISBN 0127255508. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures with a demontration of the taught topic by means of educational videos and programs that are available for the students on web page of this course. The students should have the basic knowledge of the basic methods typically used for protein purification at the end of the course.
- Assessment methods
- The final exam is in the form of written test, which contains questions from the sample extraction, centrifugation, electromigration and chromatographic methods. The time for the test is one hour, the grades are A to F on the basis of each question classification.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information