PřF:C6270 Methods of Protein Separation - Course Information
C6270 Methods of Protein Separation - practiceFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/3. 3 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- prof. RNDr. Zdeněk Glatz, CSc. (seminar tutor)
doc. RNDr. Oldřich Janiczek, CSc. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. RNDr. Oldřich Janiczek, CSc.
Department of Biochemistry - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
Supplier department: Department of Biochemistry - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
- ( C3580 Biochemistry && ( C3600 Biochemistry-lab.course || C3620 Biochemistry-lab.course ))
Basic knowledges from general biochemistry in range of the lectures Biochemistry I (C3181) or Biochemistry(C3580) and Methods of Proteins separations (C6260).
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The objective of the practice is to get to students the basic knowledges from separation methods in biochemistry or molecular biology, which are used for protein purification. Contents of the first part includes the basic manipulation with biological samples - extraction, precipitation, ultrafiltration and lyophilisation. Second part is orientied onto chromatography methods. Last part is dedicated in electromigration methods.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of this course the students should practically apply the methods of disintegration of animal, vegetal and microbial tissues, methods of isolation, purification of proteins, nucleic acids and other biopolymers, methods for determination their purity and molecular properties.
- 1.Introduction. Basic Preparation. Purification Strategy. 2.Clarification and Extraction. Centrifugation. 3.Phase Separation. Precipitation and Selective Denaturation. Membrane Separation. 4.Ultrafiltration and Lyophilisation. Laboratory Water Preparation. 5.Chromatography. Basic Principles. 6.Adsorption and Partition Chromatography. 7.Ion-exchange Chromatography. Chromatofocusing. 8.Reverse Phase Chromatography with ESI-MS. Protein tryptic digest analysis. 9.Gel Permeation Chromatography. 10.Affinity Chromatography. 11.Electromigration Methods. Basic Principles. 12.Free and Zone Electrophoresis. 13.Isoelectric Focusing. 14.Isotachophoresis.
- ANZENBACHER, Pavel and Jan KOVÁŘ. Metody chemického výzkumu pro biochemiky. 1. vyd. Praha: Ministerstvo školství ČSR, 1986. 199 s. info
- Guide to protein purification. Edited by Murray P. Deutscher. San Diego: Academic Press, 1990. xiii, 894. ISBN 0-12-213585-7. info
- Protein purification methods : a practical approach. Edited by E. L. V. Harris - S. Angal. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1989. xvi, 317. ISBN 0199630038. info
- A practical guide to membrane protein purification. Edited by Gebhard von Jagow - Hermann Schägger. San Diego: Academic Press, 1994. 166 s. ISBN 0127255508. info
- Teaching methods
- Brief lecture follwed by practical laboratory training.
- Assessment methods
- Class discussion and written protocols.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: in blocks.
- Teacher's information