PřF:C8113 Meth.biotech - Course Information
C8113 Biotechnology methodsFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/5. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Jiří Kučera, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
doc. Ing. Martin Mandl, CSc. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Kateřina Dadáková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Zdeněk Farka, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Vojtěch Sedláček, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Jiří Kučera, Ph.D.
Department of Biochemistry - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
Supplier department: Department of Biochemistry - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Biotechnology (programme PřF, N-BTC)
- Course objectives
- The main aim of the course is to acquire basic methods used in biotechnology. In practical exercises, students will be familiarized with the procedures typical for developing and realizing the biotechnology process in a bioreactor with subsequent purification of the product.
- Learning outcomes
- Students will know the basic principles of applying selected methods used in biotechnology and use different methods for further experimental work in biotechnology and related fields.
- Bioreactor preparation. Feed-batch cultivation of recombinant microbial strain with subsequent production of the target protein. Monitoring of bioprocess parameters such as aeration, temperature, biomass, substrate, and product concentrations. Biomass separation and cell lysate preparation. Purification of the target recombinant protein by fast protein liquid chromatography.
- recommended literature
- POSTEN, Clemens. Integrated bioprocess engineering. Berlin: De Gruyter, 2018. xi, 344. ISBN 9783110315387. info
- Protein purification : principles, high resolution methods, and applications. Edited by Jan-Christer Janson. 3rd ed. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons, 2011. xiv, 517. ISBN 9780471746614. info
- Methods in biotechnology. Edited by Hans-Peter Schmauder. London: Taylor & Francis, 1997. ix, 257 s. ISBN 0-7484-0429-5. info
- Teaching methods
- Individually supervised laboratory course.
- Assessment methods
- Compulsory participation throughout the block exercise. Completion of credit based on participation and processing of protocols.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: in blocks.