PřF:C8620 EAC - Org. pol. - lab. - Course Information
C8620 Environmental Analytical Chemistry - Organic Pollutants - laboratory courseFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/3. 3 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: graded credit.
- Mgr. Radovan Kareš (seminar tutor)
prof. RNDr. Jana Klánová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Ivan Holoubek, CSc.
RECETOX - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Ivan Holoubek, CSc.
- Thu 9:00–11:50 Kontaktujte učitele
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- To apply knowledge gained in the course of the Environmental analytical chemistry. To transfer the theory into the practical skills. To demonstrate major extraction, fractionation, separation and identification techniques suitable for determination of organic compounds in the environmental samples (air, water, soil). To explore the possibilities of various analytical instruments. To modify the methods to suit the range of environmental matrices and environmental pollutants. To develop the laboratory skills necessary for the routine work in the analytical laboratory. To understand the principles of good laboratory practice. To evaluate the quality of the analytical work. To interpret data gained from the analytical experiments.
- 1. Demonstration of the active high volume sampling method for collecting the samples of the gas-phase and particle-associated organic compounds in the atmosphere 2. Analysis of polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in the atmosphere (particles and gas) using the automatic solvent extraction and the gas chromatography coupled to the mass spectrometry (GC/MS) 3. Solid phase extraction (SPE) of organic pollutants from precipitation or surface water, determination of chlorinated phenols using the high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) 4. Head-space analysis of the volatile organic compounds in the liquid samples using the gas chromatography (GC) 5. Ultrasound assisted solvent extraction of the soil samples and determination of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and organochlorine pesticides (OCPs: DDT, hexachlorocyclohexanes, hexachlorobenzene) using the gas chromatography coupled to the mass spectrometry (GC/MS)
- FIFIELD, F. W. and P. J. HAINES. Environmental Analytical Chemistry. (Eds.). London: Blackie Academic & Professional, 1995. ISBN 0-7514-0052-1. info
- SKOOG, Douglas A. and James J. LEARY. Principles of instrumental analysis. 4th ed. Fort Worth: Saunders College Publishing, 1992. xii, 700 s. ISBN 0-03-023343-7. info
- Assessment methods
- practical course, one week block, written test
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.